Dj's United

Produb Licence Not Required

My advice to any DJ looking to add karaoke to an existing DJ laptop system is to buy the manufacturers tracks like Zoom and laughing Gnome

you do not need the £50 top up with these manufacturers tracks so as you have to buy the minimum licence each and every year this can be a big saving .

I sent many emails to many karaoke manufacturers and i am still awaiting responses from many.

Zoom and laughing Gnome were the first guys to reply and in my opinion this is a great example of how good there customer service is.

others are not so quick!

As soon as i know of more manufacturers and there position regarding the pro dub licence i will keep DJ associates members updated.

Rob

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Thats good for people who use Zoom discs only, but CD+G downloads cost around £2 each, whereas the ProDub is a maximum of 60p per track, so if you already have a substantial collection then the ProDub is the most economical surely?

I think I may invest in the Zoom starter collections they do through Images. Do you have an official statement from them that could be used to prove legitimacy infront of an inspector?

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Thats good for people who use Zoom discs only, but CD+G downloads cost around £2 each, whereas the ProDub is a maximum of 60p per track, so if you already have a substantial collection then the ProDub is the most economical surely?

I think I may invest in the Zoom starter collections they do through Images. Do you have an official statement from them that could be used to prove legitimacy infront of an inspector?

Danno13, if you have been purchasing MP3+G downloads to your performance hard drive, once again NO PRODUB LICENCE IS REQUIRED as no format shift has taken place.

Remember, you have to purchase a minimum licence each and every year. If you're in business for a few years and you purchase the tracks from the right manufacturer or in the right format, it could save you lots of money.

Many djs (as is the whole country) are finding times hard. At the present time its well worth thinking about before purchasing those new karaoke tracks.

I have emails from BOTH Zoom and Laughing Gnome confirming that they give permission for conversion to any format, as long as you own the originals and you dont use the original and the copy at the same time for shows.

I am trying to get to the bottom of this - if any UK karaoke companies discs are actually covered by the pro dub licence. I am awaiting replies from the others I've contacted.

None have confirmed that their karaoke are PPL registered. As I understand the situation the Pro Dub Licence only applies to recordings that are registered to the PPL .

3.3 of the pro dub licence T&C states

This Licence only covers the limited copying of Repertoire Works and PPL

Sound Recordings as provided for in these terms and conditions. This Licence

does not extend to other rights or interests, including without limitation, Musical

Works which are not Repertoire Works, Sound Recordings which are not PMSRs

or PPL Sound Recordings, films, dramatic works, performers’ rights, moral rights

or rights in performances. The Licence does not cover any rights not expressly

granted under these terms and conditions.

So it may mean that many DJ's have paid for a karaoke top-up on the pro dub licence for tracks that the licence does not cover anyway!

The ones that have replied have said they are not registered with the PPL.

I am currently looking into another situation/scenario.

Soundchoice, the USA karaoke company a while back strictly forbid any conversion or copying of their discs. It may be that you think your ok to convert the discs to mp3+G as you have a pro dub licence, but actually Soundchoice could sue you for copyright infringement, as the recording may not be covered by the PPL! I am researching this to see if this is the case.

I will inform you guys as soon as I know more.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Just to add, after both companies made public statements elsewhere, they were contacted on the 16th and 17th September 2008. Both Rob and DJ@ are in receipt of the official stance from Laughing Gnome and Zoom Entertainment. Neither company's are members / conform to PPL.