Dj's United

Guy's, be honest with me on this one, I work the kent and Sussex area and have found that since the millenium the work volume has dropped of considerable. this year I have only been out about 25 times, I have been dj'ing for 30 years now and never known it so bad, I have never needed to advertise and always been busy, sometimes 4/5 nights a week, but now the bookings are not around. am I just an old fart that needs to get out and get on with my life or are we all feeling the pinch? I must say that all the other mobile jocks I grew up with have all dropped out and gone so maybe I'm just a dino, bucking the trend, and no I'm not in me 60's I'm just about 44, with a hard dj'ing life behind me, hohum. I look forward to your honest replies, however scathing they may be. Thanks, all, Dave

I can't speak for other areas, but in my area this has been the quietest year I've ever known, for about 15 years. Part of the reason is a huge increase in unemployment, pubs and venues closing on a monthly basis and a drop off in the tourist trade. Even now, at the height of the school holidays and approaching the middle of August, most of the hotels and guest houses are only 1/4 full and many have slashed their room rates in an attempt to claw back some revenue from the final holiday months before the end of the season.

Its all around, in most industries, and from first hand experience, the leisure and tourist industry is being hit especially hard this summer, and my business relies on this and if they aren't working then neither am I.

I've also noticed a lot of Brides and Grooms getting married abroad. There was a report in the local press recently stating that with the increse in cheap airlines, competitive hotel rates and many resorts cashing in on the Wedding niche, it is actually CHEAPER to have your Wedding in sunnier climes with a few chosen family members present, than it is to go the whole hog paying for a church ceremony and reception for 150 guests in the UK. We all know that things are much cheaper outside of the UK, and it seems that Wedding Packages aren't excepted from this either. The additional plus being that food is usually much cheaper and good weather and a nice setting for your wedding photos is virtually guaranteed.

I can't blame them really. If I had £15k to blow on a Wedding, and that budget would either buy me a church wedding in the middle of Lancaster Town Centre followed by a reception on the 2nd floor of the Grouse and Partridge with a bunch of family members I barely knew or couldn't stand or alternatively my money would get us an outside open air ceremony in 33c sunshine followed by a wedding breakfast on a sandy beach with the sea in the background and no screaming toddlers monopolising the dancefloor, then i'd be packing my bags and heading for the airport faster than you can say 'doubledecks dave'. I really can't fault a lot of B&G's choosing this route.

A sign of the times, shopping around and seeing what the most that you can get for your money is.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Yes. This year has dived - but have you noticed the increase / upsurge in mobile djs? Sign of the times! :rolleyes:

When we are supposedly our most busy during the peak Summer period! LOL!

2009 generally appears to be pretty wet and miserable for DJs North, South East and West! :yes:

Yes. This year has dived - but have you noticed the increase / upsurge in mobile djs? Sign of the times! :rolleyes:

When we are supposedly our most busy during the peak Summer period! LOL!

2009 generally appears to be pretty wet and miserable for DJs North, South East and West! :yes:

Dukesy

I'm cut to the quick and deeply hurt :ouch:

As a new(ish) Mobile DJ I thought I'd been welcomed into the bosom

of the DJ United family and now realise you don't really want us young upstarts

around. :funjokeandlaugh:

(OK the young bit is a lie!!!!!)

But seriously, having not been around for too long I can't compare

against previous years. Having said that, although I'm doing OK at the moment,

all my bookings have come via word of mouth. I've only had two enquiries from

advertising sources (web, shops, etc.) so maybe I'll notice if I become

reliant on those sources for bookings.

And like everywhere else venues are closing at an increasing rate around

my neck of the woods in Flintshire.

Kev

I was in Birmingham yesterday and the amount of pubs I noticed closed and boarded up was an eye opener, and then some.

It really does make you think. The knock-on effect to other sectors will obviously be bad, but when you think of our own sector, it is not positive.

Requests for work will increase and when the fat of the land has dried up, watch out for the in-fighting over the scraps of work remaining, undercutting like you've never seen before!

I receive emails now on a monthly basis from fellow moble djs (no doubt new as well as establshed) offering their services / looking for work. Used to receive the odd email during the course of a year, but the increase has been quite remarkable, and it'll likely increase too! Registrations on the forum are up, the number of DJ's NOT working on a Friday or Saturday night appears to be increasing - especially during the summer period (according to the logins / forum logs) so I echo the point previous, a sign of the times, indeed! tongue out icon