Dj's United

Smoking Questions  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious....

Oh, and before someone pipes up that I'm picking on smokers, I'm not - I just wonder if there is anything we can do to help you kick the habit if YOU really want to. I did (eventually).

think you might need to add "due to stress" in the first vote Brian.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

if there is anything we can do to help you kick the habit if YOU really want to. I did (eventually).

Take my pain away :shrug:

I really do want to stop smoking, and would love to have quit by 1st July when my employer (The Local Council) is going mental with the rules and regs against smoking during works time.

Trouble I'm having at the moment is that I'm so depressed with being in pain 24/7, and can't see any end in sight. Went to the doctors last Thursday and was more or less told, "there's nothing more we can do for you" :wall:

Still going to try though. Wifes getting me the number for a smoking cessation clinic that opens outside working hours, and I've booked us into a no smoking hotel for a weekend away next weekend.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

I'm curious....

Oh, and before someone pipes up that I'm picking on smokers, I'm not - I just wonder if there is anything we can do to help you kick the habit if YOU really want to. I did (eventually).

We could tell all smokers of the dangers of smoking maybe even print it in big letters on the packets something like "SMOKING KILLS" this might help tongue out icon

In all honesty though I can understand how smokers feel I am a chocoholic and yes it does exsist I can go for a day or two without chocolate and then I crave it like you would not believe...

I wish there was some way of helping folk stop this silly habit that will almost definatley kill them, bar the No 47 hitting them of cause :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is a statistic of how many people who have been hit by a bus were smokers... Sorry i'm drifting again lol....

Best of luck to anyone who is trying to give up....

Nik

I Do enjoy smoking (more on a social basis)

I have tried to quit several times but due to something ive started again (will power)

Yep, will power is the only thing that will stop you reaching for a pack & a lighter. You just need to want to stop.

I,am a young man and want to kick it big time been smoking for 4 years now and to some smokers yes thats nothing and should be able to kick it in an instant (but when its got a grip its got a grip of you) but i work in the licencend trade and the temptation is to overwelming so all i,am banking on is waiting for the ban to give me the biggest encentive plus will power combined (i hpoe) to kick it!!!!

plus with a little-en on the way i want to have stopped by then FOR GOOD now thats what i see as an encentive..... a men

still learning, still experiencing, still dj,ing

I,am a young man and want to kick it big time been smoking for 4 years now and to some smokers yes thats nothing and should be able to kick it in an instant but i work in the licencend trade and the temptation is to overwelming so all i,am banking on is waiting for the ban to give me the biggest encentive plus will power combined (i hpoe) to kick it!!!!

plus with a little-en on the way i want to have stopped by then FOR GOOD now thats what i see as an encentive..... a men

good luck DJ SPARKO, you can do it.

ive been smoking for 27 years now. i gave up for a couple of weeks about 2 months ago. i tried the patches but they kept peeling off so i went cold turkey and it was the hardest 2 weeks i had ever suffered. working for the health service is such a stressfull job at the moment with a saving of 20 million being saved last year and another 20.4 million to be saved this year in my hospital alone. jobs are being lost on a weekly basis and the stress is getting to everyone. sadly i have started again due to the stress but now i know i can do it i will try again............. one day.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Guest EliteDJ

I used to smoke 40 a day. I quit a few years ago after a friend recommended an excellent hypnotherapist. Funny thing is, before I went I didn't really believe in hypnotherapy. It worked for me though.

Well I rang the smoking cesation clinic today as I finally found one that has sessions/appointments outside of working hours.

Only trouble is, there is a 4 week waiting list, and if you try to stop or cut down before you're seen, they won't help you.

A question for those of you that did manage to kick the habit, to help us that are trying.

How did you do it. What methods did you use. Did you set yourselves incentives like putting the money in a jar, treating yourself, patches, gum, zyban etc. etc. Anything that you used to help you get there in the end.

Have to say that the best I ever did was 2 years. I must have run out of fags when I went to bed, got up for work the next morning, and it was about 3 days later when someone offered me one that I realised that I hadn't smoked for about 3 days and just didn't want one. Hadn't even thought about giving up - if only that could happen again. I only started again at my fathers funeral.

The best I've ever done since then was 2 weeks with Zyban from the doctors smoking cesation clinic. But that failed again one day when I had my son up against the wall by his throat and was about to hit him. Walked away in tears and bought some fags.

Hoping this time will be the one. I'm hoping that they will give me Zyban again as it was derived from anti depresants, and as I said on another thread, or earlier in this, I can't remember :fear: , because I'm in pain 24/7, I'm very depressed which makes it so much harder to quit.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

I really do want to stop smoking, and would love to have quit by 1st July when my employer (The Local Council) is going mental with the rules and regs against smoking during works time.

I might be wrong here, but I believe that the flip side of the smoking regs is that your employer supports you with not only with support but also some limited financial means to help employees to quit. Of course how much and how far will vary from employer to employer, but I think at the very minimum they have to contribute to the cost of patches and such for a certain period. It may be worth speaking to your supervisor / occupational health department to get the facts, certainly worth asking the question.

Another area which is overlooked, are the non medical / non intrusive means of support and therapy to help you to quit. Don't automatically dismiss alternative medicine such as hypnosis or homeopathy as 'mumbo jumble' until you have actually tried and researched it because you don't have to believe in it for it to work, in fact if you don't, then often the positive results can be more evident, as they can't be dismissed as imagination or mind over matter! tongue out icon .

I know its been mentioned before about something called EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) which basically involves stimulation of the acupuncture points - those scared of needles take note that this does not involve traditional acupuncture needles, but simply pressure and stimulation of various pressure points relating to given problems. This has many documented success stories ranging from treating depression, stress, stage fright, bereavement / loss, Migraines, Obsessive Complusive Disorder, IBS and also helping people quit Alcoholism, Smoking etc. It also often costs less than other similar alternative treatments and has a faster response time with each consulation costing £30 - £60. Many people report positive results after just one or two consultations.

Like all alternative therapy's, it isn't always a magic bullet, and the degree of success varies from patient to patient. but the success stories seem to outweigh the criticism and there are no risks to health from side effects. EFT is also practiced by those involved with hypnosis, including high profile hypnotists such as Paul McKenna, who has treated several celebrities and as such, it has had some favourable TV coverage as to its benefits.

Certainly if I was serious about quitting and was willing to try anything within reason, for the cost of a couple of packs of nicotine patches, then I would at least be making enquiries, and asking the right questions to the right people before the law came into force.

EFT Related Info

http://www.advancedtherapies.co.uk/

EFT Practioner Directory Search

http://www.lifeworkpotential.com/search/search.asp