Stanton M304 Mixer - £250

2 Numark Axis 9's - £440

Mackie SRM 450's with stands + Cables = £1000

Cables and table - £140

2 Mackie SCX 500's - £450

350MW Laser Show - £500

Laptop Software, Hard Drive and extras - £250

= £3,030

Extortionate but I did not want to buy :cense:!

Now I need to know what I should be charging for an event.

I have a disco with a load of kids booked at a village club that is 2.5 hours for £100.

I also have a wedding booked that is £165 for 5 hours....

I just feel that after all i have spent on equipment I am undercharging... What do you think?

Well, at those inital rates, you'll recover the cost of the gear in just over 20 gigs. - not too bad.

You've gone into detail about the table and cables (thank you) but not mentioned any lights - just the laser.

If this is the case - sell the laser - buy some nice colourful disco lights that you'll be able to keep on most of the time - lasers are more of a "few minutes here - few minutes there" type of effect - especially if its a single colour - it'll get dull (to the audience) after only a few minutes.

As for price - it varies considerably - both around the country, with regional variations on price, and also from DJ to DJ - in some cases for worthwhile reasons, such as experience of certain types of functions, sometimes just for the loriel reasoning :wacko:

before you charge more you have to make sure you are worth more,you've paid a lot of money for some good gear(apart from lighting as gary already said) but gear alone dont mean you can charge more for your services.what can you offer your client to make them want to pay you more.there been a lot of threads on here on this subject do a search and read them,if at the end of the day you believe you are worth more(not the equipment) then increase your price,if you think maybe you need more expirience before you increase then keep it at what it is.here is one worth reading but there are more

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16914&hl=

Edited by andyw

It's not really the equipment but the way you use it that determines what you are worth. There are DJs with minimal equipment charging £400+ whilst others with a van load go out at £150.

So you've now got the gear but you need to look into marketing, your performance, promotion, training, your target market etc.

Clients do not book you at a higher price just because you have quality equipment - you have to sell YOU and your service.

If you are aiming for the wedding market then personally I think you have made a mistake buying lasers - for that money you could have purchased a few effects that would work better at a reception esp if the venue doesn't allow smoke (even if it does, a smoke machine at a wedding will lose you potential clients even if it does make your lights look more impressive).

If you are aiming at a younger target audience then your choice would be appropriate but is this a lucrative market for you?

Paul is right.

The sound system looks good to me.

With the lights, you are barking up the wrong tree for a function disco. Money is better spent on say a datamoon all in one kit for £240. You can use these any where.

Lasers have limited use and as paul correctly said, smoke machines are not liked at weddings.

Lasers have their place, but you need general all round light as well.

£165 seems a bit low. Depends on area, competition, and what you are offering. From experience, £200 should be obtainable and maybe £230. £195 always sound better than £200.

Agree with Paul.

£195 always sound better than £200.

Why not start from £240 - 25% reservation fee (£60) balance only £180.......which sounds better than £195!!! :D

Agree with Paul.

Why not start from £240 - 25% reservation fee (£60) balance only £180.......which sounds better than £195!!! :D

Can't do no harm. try it and see. If too high for the area, bring it down to a lower figure. Chances are you end up on a winner and certainly above £165.

It's not really the equipment but the way you use it that determines what you are worth. There are DJs with minimal equipment charging £400+ whilst others with a van load go out at £150.

Absolutely right.

Do be careful in varying your price when offering/pitching a quality service.

This is where one has to seriously look at the service offered to a particular target market.

Like Smithy said, you have to sell YOU and your service - especially if you want to raise your status and reputation from pitching among the same saturated kin who, in the eyes of some (potential clients) are perceived to be no different to one another.

Clients don't book DJs everyday. For some, the perception is that mobile DJs are hobby based operators and therefore should not be charging a service rate in line with other 'service professionals'. Further, perceptions like 'anyone' can play music, discos are just a few lights and an ipod, the DJ has a day job and it's only pocket money, etc...the list goes on and on.

Well, at those inital rates, you'll recover the cost of the gear in just over 20 gigs. - not too bad.

You've gone into detail about the table and cables (thank you) but not mentioned any lights - just the laser.

If this is the case - sell the laser - buy some nice colourful disco lights that you'll be able to keep on most of the time - lasers are more of a "few minutes here - few minutes there" type of effect - especially if its a single colour - it'll get dull (to the audience) after only a few minutes.

As for price - it varies considerably - both around the country, with regional variations on price, and also from DJ to DJ - in some cases for worthwhile reasons, such as experience of certain types of functions, sometimes just for the loriel reasoning :wacko:

Sorry, Yes I have two Martin SCX500 Scanners as well at £550 for the two - Should Have mentioned that earlier on!

They look good... Just want a USB DMX and maybe some coloured LED tubes then am done for now!

Edited by DJBJ

I'd suggest you've done things the wrong way round, but too late now.

The best route would have been to do what many of us did in the early days - buy some cheapish but servicable gear, and get some experience doing school discos and teenager parties, and gigs for family and friends.

Later on, when you've got a decent music collection together and are starting to understand the types of music required at different events, you can throw money into upgrading your gear. For the upgrade I reckon you should buy top equipment with a view to it lasting your whole carreer, speakers and amps anyhow - much as you have listed.

Don't start charging a whack for your services if you are new to the job, as it will possibly affect your reputation and you'll lose work opportunities, but wait until you feel you really are good enough to charge these rates - some of us never get that good!

We all have our own opinions regarding pricing, but in my opinion I'd rather offer my services for £130 and win 7 out of 10 bookings, than price myself at £195 and win just 2.

Also...and I'm sure you're aware of this....the average punter (99% of them) doesn't know their Bose from their ProSound!!!

In fact, they'd probably be more likely to have seen the Maplins units then the Bose!

In my experience, most clients recognise volume (size of system) and variation of lighting. The rest doesn't mean diddly to them, and to be honest...why should it...they're only interested in the results, not the means!

So having spent 300, 3,000 or 30,000 (probably) wouldn't impress them! I have come to realise that my critique of other systems (and my own) is something that clients/guests don't notice at all.

You can have (IMO) really ropey sound...but a fellow DJ is going to be the only one that notices the difference!

:(

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Also...and I'm sure you're aware of this....the average punter (99% of them) doesn't know their Bose from their ProSound!!!

In fact, they'd probably be more likely to have seen the Maplins units then the Bose!

In my experience, most clients recognise volume (size of system) and variation of lighting. The rest doesn't mean diddly to them, and to be honest...why should it...they're only interested in the results, not the means!

So having spent 300, 3,000 or 30,000 (probably) wouldn't impress them! I have come to realise that my critique of other systems (and my own) is something that clients/guests don't notice at all.

You can have (IMO) really ropey sound...but a fellow DJ is going to be the only one that notices the difference!

:(

I really hope you're not right :(

I've always believed, maybe hoped, that the average punter would at least be able to recognise and enjoy a bit of quality and clarity in the sound system, or at the very least be aware of the lack of it. Am I just being naive then?

I can quite believe that with lights, people just see flashing disco lights unless you have something to really blow them away, but I'd be quite upset if everybody viewed sound the same way.

Neil B

...You can have (IMO) really ropey sound...but a fellow DJ is going to be the only one that notices the difference!

Never take advice on sound from someone with 'Distortion' in their name tongue out icon

Seriously though people do appreciate good sound and will comment on it whether they be staff, guests or clients and whether they have heard of Bose before or not.

If you do have 'ropey' sound chances are no one will complain but that doesn't mean it's gone un-noticed and will reflect in referrals. Sadly you'll never know though because that's the way humans do things.

So to put your mind at ease Old Soul IMHO people do notice sound quality smile icon