Dj's United

Has anyone upgraded to vista on their lap top for DJ-ing? I nearly bought a new laptop yesterday and wondered if my version of Tracktor would work with vista. I ended up just buying a new hard drive..

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Vista oooooo VISTA. I've sworn at my computer more times since using it and it's lucky I don't have a cat. :scared:

At the last count there were 61 compatibility issues with software that I use (some of it from Microsoft) and Vista cannot find a solution to any of them. It also goes off into it's own little world at random, slowing everything down, making the mouse pointer do it's own little dance and generally just messing me about.

To give you one small example - I use a laser printer and with the 'new' Vista drivers it will no longer print text in greyscale eg THIS will print as THIS. I won't list the other 60 ....

Just purchased new laptop with Vista on it.

Have loaded Mixmeister Fusion on it.

Just converting cd's over to mp3.

Have turned into a bore ripping cd's

So far no problems with Vista.

All I have used it for is music and no internet connection. Have not used in a live situation yet.

Has anyone upgraded to vista on their lap top for DJ-ing? I nearly bought a new laptop yesterday and wondered if my version of Tracktor would work with vista. I ended up just buying a new hard drive..

Steve, just bite the bullet and get a Mac, it will run Traktor flawlessly, and you will have none of the issues that plague windows users.

Steve, I use Traktor 100%..

My laptop that I use for gigs is still on XP, simply because I cannot afford to upgrade it yet but I will soon.

On my desk top at home that has vista on it and I run Traktor on it all day, editing, beat gridding, doing this, doing that........... you know all the stuff you can do with Traktor. I've had this computer for about 4 months and to date, not a problem, all is great (he says touching wood).

I find vista fantastic for editing and writing tags etc. to tracks, really good.

So, for me go for it, I will upgrade my laptop to vista when I get the funds together soon.

http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5537.gif http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-7881.gif

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

Personally i think Vista is still too new to be using it on a gigging lappie, too many compatibility issues as its effectively still a new operating system and upgrade patches etc will be released in near future to iron out any flaws, it was the same with xp. Dont be thinking i will be using vista on my dj lappie yet untill its 100% stable

• 1 month later...

Steve, I use Traktor 100%..

Cool, i bought a new laptop and trktor is struggling! Which version do you use?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind compatibility issues (and I know there are many), if you insist on buying a new laptop with Vista and your are offered a memory upgrade - take it!!.

Vista is really memory hungry and as your standard laptop will come with 1GB memory, it uses nearly 700MB just running Windows. :zzz:

I would suggest at least 2GB memory or go with XP.

My sister bought a new laptop with Vista and it is SLOOOOOOWWWW..........

Never mind compatibility issues (and I know there are many), if you insist on buying a new laptop with Vista and your are offered a memory upgrade - take it!!.

Vista is really memory hungry and as your standard laptop will come with 1GB memory, it uses nearly 700MB just running Windows. :zzz:

I would suggest at least 2GB memory or go with XP.

My sister bought a new laptop with Vista and it is SLOOOOOOWWWW..........

must admit my new laptop with vista has 2g memory and its not the fastest at certain commandments.

Steve

Hey I remember my Amstrad 1512 (512K RAM), didn't even have an hard drive and at the time seemed to run pretty fast.

I also remember running Windows on a 286 with a 20MB (640K RAM) hard drive and it was the dogs dangly bits and as fast as lightning.

Funny how things just seem to get more RAM and faster processors now but they don't seem any faster.

Jim

Hey I remember my Amstrad 1512 (512K RAM), didn't even have an hard drive and at the time seemed to run pretty fast.

I also remember running Windows on a 286 with a 20MB (640K RAM) hard drive and it was the dogs dangly bits and as fast as lightning.

Funny how things just seem to get more RAM and faster processors now but they don't seem any faster.

Jim

Same with amplification...there was a time when I used to play big clubs, with band, using just a Carlsbro Marlin 150w (120w actually) PA set up. Now I take 1k and it doesn't feel that much louder smile icon

Last Sunday I'd been on the computer for several hours and this red mist just slowly descended. For 5 months & 8 days I'd put up with an operating system that, at times, was slower than my Commodore 64. I connected up a slave HD and booted my PC from the XP CD. The next 36 hours are just a blur in the history of time now and I'm still playing catch-up.

Anyway very long story so to cut it short I'm still on Vista (not by choice) but I did find an option in the control panel to make the system speed up - by selecting it my operating system now looks remarkedly like Win 98 but it is faster than the original - I think this is progress :rolleyes: :shrug: :wacko:

Last Sunday I'd been on the computer for several hours and this red mist just slowly descended. For 5 months & 8 days I'd put up with an operating system that, at times, was slower than my Commodore 64. I connected up a slave HD and booted my PC from the XP CD. The next 36 hours are just a blur in the history of time now and I'm still playing catch-up.

Anyway very long story so to cut it short I'm still on Vista (not by choice) but I did find an option in the control panel to make the system speed up - by selecting it my operating system now looks remarkedly like Win 98 but it is faster than the original - I think this is progress :rolleyes: :shrug: :wacko:

:Thumbup:

My main/business computer is XP and that runs well. My Dj-ing laptop is vista and recently purchasing otsav the program runs spot on and is really fast.

Steve