Dj's United

This topic came up on another thread and i would be interested as to what the rest of the dj community think

Now i class myself as a professional dj/entertainer

my job is to play music required and suited to whatever event i am attending and also to entertain with my knowledge of music and keep the party/event going.

How do you class your job as a dj and are you an entertainer

or do you think a dj isn't an entertainer but something else ?

Edited by jukeboxdj

It all depends on the type of dj.

A club dj does not have to be an entertainer in the same way that a mobile dj does. Likewise at an up-market wedding you would not be the same person as you would be at a hotel multi-group party, where you are trying to get disparate company cliques to mix.

You need to judge inter-action for each situation and entertain to fit the scenario.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

but do you think a dj is an entertainer or not?

The DJ themselves dont really entertain as the people are there to listen to good music not the DJ.

Clearly the DJ has to play the right music for people to be entertained so a DJ entertains indirectly.

Some DJ's think the sounds of their own voice is entertaining.

I prefer to just play good music than waffle all night.

Obviously a DJ needs to introduce himself at the start of the night, give out info as the night goes on (bar open/closed etc) and at the end of the night thank everyone for coming and say goodnight.

I also play guitar and that is many times more difficult than being a DJ so I would suggest a musician is much more talented than a DJ. A musician is actually playing the notes, the DJ doesnt.

I also play guitar and that is many times more difficult than being a DJ so I would suggest a musician is much more talented than a DJ. A musician is actually playing the notes, the DJ doesnt.

Be careful Nigel, or you'll upset the scratch DJs! :rolleyes:

As you mention it so often, why don't you start a thread on the joy and benefits you've found being a musician and maybe, if you are a member of the Musicians Union and if you like, what songs you play, give a little more depth about your musical background etc,

Suggest you put it in the DJsUnited Arms which is a forum area which isn't exactly DJ related - more off topic.

Be careful Nigel, or you'll upset the scratch DJs! :rolleyes:

As you mention it so often, why don't you start a thread on the joy and benefits you've found being a musician and maybe, if you are a member of the Musicians Union and if you like, what songs you play, give a little more depth about your musical background etc,

Suggest you put it in the DJsUnited Arms which is a forum area which isn't exactly DJ related - more off topic.

I am clearly not your average DJ as I also perform as a musician too.

So I am bound to have a different viewpoint from most others on here.

How do you class your job as a dj and are you an entertainer

Class? Unique. Entertainer, see Robbies post above.

To some I'm both and to others I'm much, much more! :bouncy:

I am clearly not your average DJ as I also perform as a musician too.

So I am bound to have a different viewpoint from most others on here.

Like a few other members here, I play an instrument and have been known to blow my own trumpet too, so to speak. :ads:

Believe me, I appreciate diversity and differing viewpoints. Perhaps you would like to start a separate thread Nige on "What is an average DJ?" smile icon

It depends on your definition of entertainer.

entertainer

Definition en·ter·tainer (-ər)

noun

a person who entertains others, esp. professionally; a popular singer, dancer, comedian, etc.

I like to think that a dj entertains, by playing music, reading an audience and interacting with them as needed to enhance the enjoyment of the event. That puts you in the etc section. tongue out icon

If you look for a disco on a wedding site it is listed under entertainment.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Some DJ's think the sounds of their own voice is entertaining.

I believe there is a DJ on here that plays the guitar at discos, some of his works are on YouTube.

Stones and greenhouses come to mind.

I class myself as both DJ and entertainer, but because I entertain with my DJing not as a musician.

Jim

A Musician is not neccesarily an entertainer or entertaining. You have to be good and have something to offer.... There are some bad muso's out there....

Do you mean this one jim

But playing a guitar over the music is OK ?

I have 2 modes when playing guitar at the pub.

1/ I play chords at the same level as the music so it merges in nicely.

2/ I play lead guitar wailing way above the level of the back ground music.

nigel i mean no disrespect to what you do as a dj/guitar man

and i am sure you are very skilled at what you do

but it would do my box in someone playing a guitar along to the music or over the music as much as a dj warbling on all the time

the original thread was not about talent and skill but as to whether djs class themselves as entertainers

I have certainly had no complaints.

One client said I was like a DJ but had some talent !

I only play guitar at pub gigs normally.

If somone books a disco then that is what they get, if they want a guitarist as well then fine.

I have been playing guitar almost as long as Status Quo so I have a lot of experience.

I have 2 modes when playing guitar.

1/ I play chords at the same level as the music so it merges in nicely.

2/ I play lead guitar wailing way above the level of the back ground music.

I have had people come up and sing while I played guitar so that is Karaoke +++++++

My effects pedal has a drum machine built in so the drummer comes free.

At one bithday party I got the birthday girl up and put the guitar on her.

She strummed while I fingered the chords.

She was a rock chick and was completely and utterly over the moon.

And all that for £75 !!!!!!!!!!!

But how is this different from talking over the music? People spend millions of pounds and hours of time in recording studios to produce that song. How can a guy then come along add his guitar live over the top improve it.

Sorry but I would think it would sound terrible, and get on my nurves much more than a DJ talking. And in keeping with the thread THIS IS NOT ENTERTAINMENT!!! IMHO... Where a good DJ who can control the crowd with good tunes and some suitable banter to tie it all together is. I do all this and more and only for £220 !!!!!!!!!

Nik