Dj's United

Video Dj.....legal Or Not

It all seems too easy to me.

I can pop along to Woolies (maybe not....Asda then) buy a Michael Jackson DVD and play that fantastic Billie Jean sequence to 100 regulars on the widescreen plasma TV I bought from Asda using my laptop and a VGA cable.

This doesnt raise any Copyright or Performing Rights issues etc....??

Isn't it the same old chestnut of if the premises have the correct licences, similar to the being able to play a CD in a pub - one that has the no unauthorised performance of this can be made?

I think the venues licence allows this to be shown, although I dont know how you would fare at a village hall type affair...

Is this correct? Anyone?

There are companies that provide licensed videos suitable for Video DJ'ing such as Mixmash who are Europe’s premier supplier of legal music videos and ambient visuals on DVD to clubs, bars, mobile DJs, shops etc.

MixMash is licensed by the VPL - their products are for use exclusively in public locations !!

The Mixmash videos are watermarked - like the Sky broadcasts for public viewing in pubs and clubs. So a licensed video can be distinguished from a non-licensed video.

Anything else available off the shelf is not actually licensed for this use, so while it might be considered easy to just buy a music DVD off the shelf, the fines that can be imposed if caught broadcasting in a public function are pretty serious, although no one to my knowledge (mobile dj) has been fined.