Dj's United

As i have only been in business for 3 years and didnt have a vast ammount of monet to splash out at start up and certainly no experience i have made one or 2 bad purchases but am currently content with my light rig. So i thought i would shed some light (pardon the bad pun) on what i have what i use consistently and any issues i have.

Firstly - Acme Micraled £129 - This is my workhorse centrepiece light. It goes out everytime. Its light, has low power consumption and for the money, in my opinion, provides an excellent effect being very bright with a wide spread. The unit has iec in and out for daisy chaining other low power units. DMX 512 with in and out. Digital menu system for manual control. Acme ca-8 controller compatible for instant black out strobe and pattern change.

Wildtech Gobo flower £75- again a workhorse light (use 2 at a time) but with limited functions. Its a standalone unit no dmx. A 250w halogen lamp with a coloured gobo wheel provides a very bright sound activated effect thought can be tedious after a while. The unit is quite heavy but again for the money provdes good effect for the price. Only used at bigger functions with the above.

Acme Dynamo scanners £350 (4)- I use 2 units fairly consistently with the miracled and 4 on bigger shows. A 100w halogen lamp, dmx 512 with in and out. Coloured gobo wheels provide excellent pattern and colours. Acme ca-8 controller compatible for blackout, pattern change, speed change and strobe. As far as scanners go this unit is great being compact and fairly lightweight.

Acme invincibled - £99 - This was probably not my best purchase but am overall impressed now that i have used them differently. I have 2. Its an led light so you can straightaway say its light compact and has low power consumption. 3 colour led's provide, with the use of mirrors, thin crisp beams that fill a wall/ceiling with small patterns. DMX 512 and acme ca-8 compatible. The ca-8 controlls blackout speed colour change and direction. I found that placing them on the floor pointng at the ceiling fills the ceiling with patterns but when used with a smoke machine provides a stunning virtual flower effect, hard to describe but stunning. A 10mw version is out now that is brighter but at £159 is costly.

Par 56 cans £120 (4) - traditional 300w lamps with colour gels. Great for wash lighting in venues with poor lighting (strip light etc) also keeps you warm on cold night. 4 lights Uses 5 amps so think about power supplies.

And my latest purchase - 4 ledj par 64 £260. Now these have only been out of the boxes twice and have yet to be used to their full potential. very bright, dmx 512, standalone/masterslave with sound activation. 2 lights projected off a white ceiling floods a smallish venue with light. The dip switches provide basic functions such as colour, mode, strobe and blackout. a led controller or a dmx desk is required for full control.

So thats it for now - The reviews have not been too indepth but hopefully usefull. As you can see i have not spent a fortune and some would not entertain anything that doesnt say martin on it. Thats their choice. You can however provide a varying spectacular light show for a modest amount of hard earned cash.

Next purchase is a pair of moving heads, probably led based.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Nice one Minty. I have a couple of MiracLED's and LEDJ Par 64's too. I don't like the InvincibLED's either!

[insert quirky comment]