Dj's United

Hey all

thought i would fill you in on these.

As many of you know I had my back opened, repaired and closed up again in January.

Soon as i could get vertical again I began looking for new speakers, requirements were weight (d'uh) and that they had to be active (active for making the show sleeker).

So with the wharfedale pro-lix in the corner after less than 6 months (shame love the sound.... any interest? ) I started researching.

Research gets blown out of the window when that "right" looking deal comes up.... on everyones favourite auction site. Was a scary decision since no one on this forum had even mentioned the make of carlsbro (but the SPL checked out)

So what have I got.

2 x 12" 300 watt RMS tops

http://www.carlsbro.com/CarlsbroWeb/Morein...php?code=SS3520

2 x 15" 600 watt RMS bass.

http://www.carlsbro.com/CarlsbroWeb/Morein...php?code=SS3540

All units are moulded plastic, in black. I got them with their protective cases so not a scratch on them. Poles to stack them. Just add cables.

The tops have input (XLR) and output (also XLR). 3 band graphic equaliser, volume, gain, and input selection (line or mic)

Subs have volume, input (left and right), output (left/right) and output filtered (left/right)

I set them up for their first time out last week in a marquee, leaving them in the protective covers. First impressions good, they look good, have a "cheeky" blue LED to show they are on. Simple to wire and get running. Sounded very very good at the back of the marquee (when empty)

Last impressions.

Will be a learning experience to set them up well, think i had the volume on the speakers too low and the mixer too high, not enough room to play at the decks........i noticed some distortion (which i compensated for)... nobody else seemed to... but like most people i am my own worst critic

in a marquee the bass was very very good... the tops i felt struggled more, and ran very hot, next time they will be out of their cases. But the sound was good and clear for the whole night, and they handled any track thrown at them. Some heavy bass tracks (rock DJ springs to mind) threw me a bit.........

behind the speakers all you can hear is the bass......(as it is non directional) but out front sounded super sweet. Never played with so much bass... but i did like it, and it was noticed, felt and appreciated.

So for the future:

1) i like them, and will keep them looking good.

2) Carlsbro lie (and have admitted it ) on their literature. The subs are 35 kg, not 22 as they say....... but the back coped well... my new trolley being the best.

3) I would like a second pair of tops.... for spare and to increase the higher frequency punch if necessary... the subs hardly broke a sweat... meaning i could play larger places

4) sorry this such a jumble........ I realise these are not the mackies (or alto's) and are underpowered compared to them but for the price i paid i am very very happy.

Any more questions, if anybody wants to know any more, please PM me.

Jools

• 1 month later...

I looked at getting a set up of these, have heard them and they sound great

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Nice speakers, if you dont mind me asking how much did the whole speaker set up cost you?

Hope your backs better too http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

Ideal for sound re-inforcement, although a little too bulky for my liking.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 3 years later...

I have a pair of the 15 gamma's, 2 bought of ebay for the price of one new! Great speakers, There's a female xlr for the input, and a male for the output, but have just found it makes no difference witch is used to send music to the speakers, strange. And the blue LED is cool.