Dj's United

Power Supplying

Hey, just wanted some advise from others on how you supply power to all your gear, was messing around with my new lights earlier and blew a fair number of fuses... lol, what sort of things do you connect up to each extension lead and such? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/oops.gif

Thanks,

James.

What are you running? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif. Can you roughly list the gear that you are connecting?

As a rule of thumb, you can run 13A from a 3 pin socket - thats just over 3100 Watts. In the case of a double socket, the same rule applies, a maximum of 3100W across both sockets and not 3100W per socket if you follow my meaning.

If you total up your equipment, and you draw more than 3100 watts when everything is running, then you need to split the load over two or more seperate sockets. So if you work out that your equipment draws 5000W with everything on, then it is probably wise to try and set it up so that you have 2500W from one socket and 2500W from another one.

A ring main, such as you find in a domestic house or small venue will be good for upto about 30 - 32A which is roughly 7000 watts, so provided you are not drawing more than this then you should be able to plug into different sockets but in the same room.

Also note that some lighting effects and amplifiers will create a surge when you switch them on, and if they are all turned on at the same time then this can often blow fuses or trip rcd's. Try switching everything on in stages or one thing at a time.

I have roughly 1700W in Sound Equipment, and 1250W in lighting, which would just run off a standard 13A socket. However I always run the lighting equipment off one socket and the sound off another, just to be on the safe side. Also it's a good idea to keep your sound and lighting on seperate leads and sockets, because lighting equipment is more likely to blow a fuse (for example if a bulb fails) than sound equipment, and so if you are unfortunate that a fuse fails at a gig, then at least it won't trip the audio.

Soundwise i'm currently using a 2x500watt amp with a Gemini EQ but that only eats about 10watts... Lighting wise(Only just started, using 2xChauvet Intimidators and 1x750watt Mega Strobe on a DMX-50 controller) and a 700watt smoke machine...

As a general rule I always try to use 4 seperate 13A sockets when available.

2 for all the sound gear ( my amps are a bit power hungry and I tend to run 3 of them)

and 2 for the lighting..... moving heads and 300w parcans on 1 and 4 250w scanners, 2 250w moonflowers, laser, 300w centre light plus .... front screen and controlers plug into whichever is nearest.

way under capacity but as Chris says ....surges when all on at once can make a fuse go pop. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/scared.gif

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

You should be okay running that from one socket, although it's handy to try and keep your lighting and sound on seperate leads.

Try plugging each item in, one at a time. Leave the amplifier off until last to avoid any switch on thuds.

As a rule like chris has said, i would run the lighting and heater appliances such as smoke machines etc off one socket/circuit

And run your sound off another (seperate circuit if poss), never had a problem with this so far

Your lighting and smoke etc prob take as much load as the sound gear if not more in some cases (depending on the amount of lights of course!)

But also you never know if the sockets your using is wired in a ringmain or not (mostly not in my electrical experience!)

so therefore i always assume the socket will only give you 3KW (3000 watts)

Keep to this rule and youll be fine

Yep, lighting will eat more than sound.

Don't forget that amps will very seldom draw their output rating due to the nature of music. A lot depends on the type of amp, whether it's switch mode or toroidal and the caps its got in it.

Using a good 13amp+ rated extension (not too long) I can run my whole rig and processing plus decks. Thats a Matrix STR3000 (1500w/ch toroidal) 2 x QSC PLX 3402 (1100w/ch switch mode) and RS500 (250w/ch toroidal) and QSC RMX2450 (750w/ch toroidal)

Total output power 9400w. If i can, i split the sub amp on a different socket on a different ring if i can find it for peace of mind. Bear in mind this is never run into clip as this causes spikes but it's not often it needs to get driven that hard anyway - buildings start to complain before then!!

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum