Dj's United

Interview With Jammin Roadshow

Wanna know how to do a gig with just 5 tracks? - read on & find out tongue out icon

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

Jamminroadshow but my DJ name is Markie G

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Mark Glover-Jones 26 Stoke on Trent and Married

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

Jammin Roadshow

4. How long have you been a DJ?

Since I was 18 (thats nine years now scary)

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

I always loved music and to entertain people is the best job in the world

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

No

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Erm Birthdays as weddings can sometimes be difficult as people often see the DJ as the last thing on the list.

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Got the name of the person who’s party it is wrong for most of the night and even when they corrected me I still got it wrong

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

I think that there are a lot of negative people out there and I took advise from them I would say that I would learn to listen to everyone but choose more wisely who's advice I follow

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

I, like many DJ's see this as a job and I must give my best to every show I often feel sad after a disco because I think of ways that I can improve even though the guests loved the party. So I would say it’s never giving anything less than 100 %

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

I brought some lights from a bloke up the road they never worked and would have cost me more to repair that it would to buy new (oh and buying cheap bulbs never bother honestly it just ends in tears it really does)

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Laser I think. My wife thinks that I spend to much on disco things now (She knows that if she was worth more on the open market I might swap her for some new DJ stuff)

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

I would have to go with wireless as well or equipment that took itself in maybe

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

My amp would not play any sound apart from a very faint noise after 20 mins of worrying I decided to check it and my lovely wife had wire the speakers up to the input

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

The thrill of the show and the fact that you get to listen to music

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Drunk people asking for songs that do not go or is on at the time of them asking

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

If I found that I started to just turn up and get on with it. I think I would say when the Buzz went

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

DJ's will be more computer based and with ipods carrying so much music I think that the DJ will have to become even more entertainment based

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

I know that you have not got it but .......

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Be who you are and do not let anyone bring you down we all have bad gigs but just pick yourself up and go to the next one

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Buy cheap stuff its as good as the more expensive stuff (I now say there is a reason things are cheap and its normally because they are rubbish)

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

Cd's downloads and visiting local Dj show for Promos

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

YMCA (boo), Sexy back and erm cha cha slide (oooo how cheesy do i sound)

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Start small and build up take the gigs that do not pay much as they are the ones that you learn most from

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

CD's

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU?

Yeah loads I think that people who say they are the best and do not need to learn anymore are fools, there is always something to be learnt

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

Last Saturday I did a Halloween party the people were very friendly loads of fun and I was dressed as the Vicar of Dibley. (I know it does not sound very good but you would have had to been there to understand)

Worst was a pub that called last minute and said that there DJ had let them down no one would sing on the Karaoke and the Disco was very difficult felt very much like "We only like Locals"

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Yellow Pages has worked well for me but word of mouth has to come a close second

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No but it is something that has scared me so that’s why I am fully insured

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

Live the dream and never let others stop you

How many gigs do you do a year, how many would you like to do?

40 maybe I am not sure one every week with some weeks off (does that make sense)

What is your average charge for a booking?

Prices start from £120

How many tracks do you have in your music collection?

4 or 5 I have them on loop people get too drunk to notice, but seriously thousands I would say

respect to you young man

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

I enjoyed reading that, :good:

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Great read......... many thanks.

always willing to be the one to answer the questions if you need someone.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Well done Marko...Still not played call of duty with you yet...I`v actually sold my copy as I`v pre-ordered Call of duty 3 which comes out on the 10th Nov.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

And another fine read on DJU!

Nice one - keep 'em smiling! :good: