Dj's United

Please Remember This Story

Last sunday night i was setting up for a gig, an hour before the function was due to start, i was halfway up a ladder when my falcon light fell from the trussing after i over compensated when tilting it. On the way down it took half my leg with it and shortly after there was a huge loss of blood and all of a sudden the dancefloor resembled a scene from dirty harry. Iv got a photo of the injury which looks like a shark bite but i dont know how to upload onto this site.

The organisers were insistant that i go to hospital, as were the paramedics when they arrived, but i felt that i could not let people down an hour before an event. I was advised that the stitches must take place within 7 hours, so i agreed that if i could get to the hospital by 12 it would be ok. The evening turned out to be one of the best iv ever had, the people were lovely, caring and considerate, the food was great, the champagne certainly helped the cause and my own personal performance was one of my best. I eventually left the hospital at 3am after a cylinder of gas and air, 14 injections and 24 stitches. One of the barmaids described my leg as mincemeat, nice. Please everyone think about this story next time you are over compensating when setting up, im recovering now but it was one hell of an experience i wouldnt want to repeat. I think from a business point of view, i earnt a hell of a lot of respect though.

Sorry to hear about your injury.

Look out for the 'safety chains' or 'steel cable' which can retail from around £2 - £3 - ideal for lighting on trussing and stands.

In fact, I just did a google search and found a retailer doing them from £1.75 (£2.06 Inc. VAT)

The story is a good one to remember and thank goodness the light did not land on someone else like a child.

Mind, you wouldn't receive an award or thanks if you was to pull out of a function this weekend last minute if your leg went septic -and it still could! smile icon

There's an old saying "health is better than wealth" - a long term consideration!

Take it easy and let's hope your leg gets better very soon.

Thanks for contributing the story.

Ouch !

Im sure you'l get glowing reports and feedback from that gig,

and i agree with the safety chains or ropes,

Worth the money

Hope you recover quickly

Like the others, I hope you are ok.

The safety wires/chains are a must.

I use safety wires religeously, with my colorscans weighing about 30 pounds each I wouldn't want one of them falling 8ft onto somebody.

I'm not too sure but I think the PLI would be invalid without them.

You might be able to claim off your own PLI, its worth checking.

Jim

Please don't post pics of carnage :yuck: and thanks for the heads up. A word of caution, don't be tempted to use cheap safety wires, I had a sharp strand of wire embed itself in my finger which was agony. You can get really well made ones which are also certified from Ultimax.