Dj's United

Working With Other Entertainers

Hi All

As I said when i introduced myself in another post i am a vocalist looking to expand the services I am able to offer. So my question is this how many of you have done any gigs that have included other musical entertainers and what type were they?

ie.....singers, musicians, bands etc..... and if so at what type of event was it wedding, anniversary, corporate etc.

I know it's alot I'm just keen to find out where is best to target my advertising pound. Don't worry i will not be offering to do a stand alone disco as there are plenty of cover for this work,

Any advice or pointers will be greatly received.

Hi

I've probably worked along side more bands during Weddings than other type of functions over the years, although the 'best' nights (overall) were probably the other type of functions bands performed at! :D

Have never really worked with 'vocalists' during a wedding - unless you count karaoke in that area! :scared:

What services are you expanding into?

I have worked with bands, ceilidh bands, duos and single vocalists ( with their own sound systems and backing tracks ). Mostly at weddings. A few times (bands ) on New Years Eve and at Christmas parties.

I worked alongside Elvis a few years ago - I played the backing tracks and he used my radio mic smile icon

My last 2 weddings both had other entertainment. On Saturday it was a solo singer/guitarist and last night a Ceilidh Band. The biggest problem at some venues is space as I like to set-up at the same time and be ready to start the moment they finish.

I've worked with Elvis too. Its not true that he works in Tesco's because he told me he was a plasterer and lives in Basildon.

Other than that various types of bands, some good, some not so good. All types of functions but there is definitely a market for Wedding singers.

I do allow some artistes to use my sound set up as it usually saves space and often they finish first so they can get out the way quicker.

Tommo, have you got a website or a MySpace page with some demo's?

Thanks for all you replies guys, In answer to some of your questions I am a fully self contained vocalist using backing tracks and my own PA system, radio mic etc.....

My real name is david thomas and I have a website that can be found at www.david-thomas.me.uk

With respect to the areas I am planning to move into is the offering of a disco at the end of the evening because as one of you said that space is sometimes an issue, and as at least half of my pa is always in use then as an added USP then I feel the offering of a disco service may well bring me more work as I said I am not looking to offer the disco as a stand alone 'business' mearly as an add on because to many bride and grooms the use of a 'wedding singer' is a would like and not a must have so it an attemp to bring more bookings my way.

I sing mostly swing and big band but AM NOT a tribute artist!!!! :rant:

yep me again!!

A thought has crossed my mind........ :( it doesn't happen that often so I should make the most of it!

As I am an entertainer and not REALLY a DJ!

Let me give you and idea of what I currently use as lighting. For singing only gigs and bear in mind the type of music I perform, then two 12" mirror balls, 4 white par 36's and if the venue permits a hazer,

For slightly larger venues as above but add a starcloth backdrop and eight par 56's run through a foot controller.

Now for the disco add on I currently have two soundlab Vacom lights and an acme Impossiled, I can't decide between adding two Acme Jaguars or Duets or any more LED effects........ :damn: I keep changing my mind,!!!!!!!!!! I want to keep it simple as I have enough to worry about remebering the lyrics! these will all be mounted on a goalpost set up with me in the middle.

I have 2 x 18" behringer Pro X Sub cabs and 4 x Community 12" full range PA speakers for the sound all ran off a KAM 2000 watt rms amp, I use my laptop and seperate hard drive for the tunes and an 8 channel mixer plus Shure Beta 58s Cordless mic. I think thats about it!

HOWEVER :(

Back to my idea, I am aware that I need experience in this field as I do not intend to go into DJ'ing full time and want to stick to the 'happy family' do's weddings, anniversaries. I mean lets be honest an 18 year old is not going to book a swing singer for their party are they! So if anyone fancies a roadie for the evening in Coventry and the not too distant regions then I would be more than happy to help with gear etc. in return for allowing me to take notes and ask questions all night long and in return whilst I am setting up my own idea then if I get an enquiry for a disco only booking I can pass it along with the confidence that i have seen you at work and know what you can offer!

If I were to get an enquiry for a gig that required a larger professsional disco included within the package then could a 'partnership' be considered as if you take a look on my website I have done a couple of charity gigs and there was very little room left for the dancers let alone everyones gear.

I will bring this to an end now as i could go on for alot longer so any feedback welcome.

i have always found other entertainers to generally not always though to be a pain in the backside, wanting to take over the entire stage and try to push me into a corner out of the way

• 1 month later...

i tend to find that Solo singers are always a pleasure to work alongside, no big Ego, relaxed and just willing to go with the flow throughout the evening

Bands on the other hand....theres always one member of the band who you want to strangle by the end of the night

funnily enough i worked with a band a few weeks ago, who had a guitarist who believed the same about deejays, got us tagged all wrong hasn't he.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend is a singer and we run our company together but it's in the early stages at the moment. We did a gig together last night. He did a 45 min spot from 7:30 till 8:15 then I played until 10. Then he did another 45 mins with me then playing until the end at midnight. This setup has many plus points. It literally halves the workload and traveling expenses yet we both earn only slightly less than what we would if we played on our own. The only equipment he brings on top of my equipment is a mixer, mic and minidisc player.