Dj's United

Older Tracks Popular With A Younger Audience

99.9% of my work is weddings and the majority of clients are in the mid to late 20's to mid 30's age bracket.

I find it intriguing that I'm playing tracks today that I bought as a teenager going down really well with this younger audience - "Do You Love Me", by the Contours being a good example.

I know that it featured in the film "Dirty Dancing" and that "Respect" by The Queen of Soul was in "Bridget Jones' Diary".

Another track that goes down well is "I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five.

I'm assuming that was in a film I'm not aware of.

Can anyone explain the current popularity of it?

the kinks

teenage kicks - undertones

build me up buttercup- party boys

sweet caroline -neil diamond

sweet child o mine - guns n roses

whole lotta rosie - acdc

mustang sally - comittments

all good to dance to and sing along to

Paul

Edited by supersound dj

The Jacksons just seem to be one of those groups that people of all ages know, usually through parents/relatives. It was also covered by a girl band about 5-6 years ago, their name escapes me however.

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

i did an 18th a couple of months ago and i swear i only played 2 songs from the charts. And the place was rockin they were asking for things like barry white,jacko, bon jovi,elvis, plus lots of cheese ect...... great night

im only 24 my self but i like the classics more than modern stuff.

old school disco you carn't go wrong lol!

did a 21st a couple of weeks ago

do not plays - any Ibiza stuff or current chart

must plays - 60s, 80s, motown, basically anything to sing along to.

What a great night!

They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

Another couple from the movies are Build Me Up Buttercup and Footloose which always go down well plus there's been a recent resurgance of Beatles & Abba songs (although they never really went away).

At my wedding on Sat night the Bride (in her early twenties) wanted 70s/80s & some current chart music. She was on the dance floor all night smile icon

'I want you back' has been re-popular for a number of years, especially since the School Discos have gained popularity.

Another couple from the movies are Build Me Up Buttercup and Footloose which always go down well plus there's been a recent resurgance of Beatles & Abba songs (although they never really went away).

Yes. Both those tracks are very popular. I often play The Beatles version of "Twist & Shout" which goes down a storm.

Is the popularity very recent......

Was featured heavily in a comercial advertising the return of Bianca Jackson (and the rest of the clan) in Eastenders just recently.

That could explain its popularity with youngsters at the moment.

Yes. Both those tracks are very popular. I often play The Beatles version of "Twist & Shout" which goes down a storm.

The Beatles track that always works for me is 'I saw her standing there'

Is the popularity very recent......

Over the last 2 years or so. Certainly preceding the commercial.

Was featured heavily in a comercial advertising the return of Bianca Jackson (and the rest of the clan) in Eastenders just recently.

That could explain its popularity with youngsters at the moment.

QUEEN - DON'T STOP ME NOW

DECEMBER 63 OH WHAT A NIGHT

WHITESNAKE - HERE I GO AGAIN

AND OBVIOUSLY BON JOVI

LOVE SHACK

AND ONE I TRIED RECENTLY FOR THE FIRST TIME AND IT WENT DOWN A STORM

SHOUT BY LULU

Its funny I agree with this, the old ones seem to be the most popular ones... I do remember last year a couple of members who were very proud of there house ( :rolleyes: Think about it) were saying it will all be stuff from the 90's and onwards and we old dianasor DJs will have to change our playing habits or die...

Well most of my request lists contain classics, cheese if you will, and long may it continue.

Nik

I think i have a theory on this topic.

There is a lot of current music which has samples from oldies used as a base track.

The latest one that springs to mind is the girl group the Saturdays whose current single (the title escapes me for the minute!) has yazoos "situation" hit as a sample.

It sounds really good and was doing well in the charts.

There have been lots of tunes recently of this ilk about and i think this broadens the kids of todays music spectrum.

Well, thats my theory anyway!!!!

Bob

All stuck together with the finest DJ glue.

Ladiees an gennelmennn....the buffet is now open.

The latest one that springs to mind is the girl group the Saturdays whose current single (the title escapes me for the minute!) has yazoos "situation" hit as a sample.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me.....first time I heard the Saturdays track, I thought it sounded familier, just couldnt work out why.....and now I know why.

Cheers

Sonny J - Can't stop movin'

and K-Ci & JoJo - Tell me it's real

Have both made a recent re-apppearance on Kiss 100 FM.

Both are remixed, but both are excellent.

As NRG mentioned, a lot of the current songs have snippets of "Oldies" mixed into them.

Ben

It may simply be down to parents 'inflicting' their music upon their unsuspecting offspring, as these parents would probably (due to age) have grown up on 70s & 80s classics.

That doesn't explain the resurgence of specific tracks, but generally speaking I think this is why the oldies will now never die - I think most of you will agree there's little coming into the charts these days to displace the older stuff, and as Rado 1 and suchlike play mainly the current material, Ye Olde Mobile Disco is now probably the best place to hear the oldies.

Just remembered - Radio 1 have featured a slot in the morning where oldies get dug up - 'The Golden Hour' has been revived - maybe this is where some of the classics are getting aired?

And as for the Jacksons' - 'I Want You Back', I've never liked the track and can't understand its popularity, not that I can recall the last time I played it.

It may simply be down to parents 'inflicting' their music upon their unsuspecting offspring, as these parents would probably (due to age) have grown up on 70s & 80s classics.

That doesn't explain the resurgence of specific tracks, but generally speaking I think this is why the oldies will now never die - I think most of you will agree there's little coming into the charts these days to displace the older stuff, and as Rado 1 and suchlike play mainly the current material, Ye Olde Mobile Disco is now probably the best place to hear the oldies.

Just remembered - Radio 1 have featured a slot in the morning where oldies get dug up - 'The Golden Hour' has been revived - maybe this is where some of the classics are getting aired?

And as for the Jacksons' - 'I Want You Back', I've never liked the track and can't understand its popularity, not that I can recall the last time I played it.

anything absolutely anything by ABBA right now with the mama mia film, even the younger kids are loving it

guns and roses is popular again with the audience and if you want the roof to go play

all right now by free

In reply to Andy, my parents listened to a lot of rock music, and yes I do listen to a lot of it and enjoy it. SO thats a very valid point...

Wish I could say that about my younger sibilings though... I went round the other day and they were listening to Soulja Boy...

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

when i am not working and i actually get time to go karaoke singing i often sing All right now by free this always gets a great reaction..i tend to be a attention monkey and sing songs that i know people will react to rather than a nice song that only i like ..i use what i learned while singing as a dj ..bon jovi is a cert as is jacksons..A tune that i have been asked for by 18-22 year olds recently is picture of you by boyzone they were obviously youngsters when they heard this (yes 1997 is old now! :dan+ju: ) they sing along to it ..not my sort of tune but hey if they like it.

Edited by enquirer
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26