Dj's United

Having just looked at the thread regarding smoke machines,how about a list of venues that allow the use of smoke and haze machines?

If the moderators allow such a list they could perhaps split it down into rough areas of the country?

not feasible IMO

some venues dont allow them ebecause they think its smoke, so could easily be persuaded

some venues dont allow outside DJ'sto use smoke machine but let the resident DJ use them. Some dont allow outside DJ's to use them, but if the event is big enough they surprisingly change their mind when they know how much the client is spending

Having just looked at the thread regarding smoke machines,how about a list of venues that allow the use of smoke and haze machines?

If the moderators allow such a list they could perhaps split it down into rough areas of the country?

Crack on then!

Hi all, just got back from a gig.. Seems to be a lot of discussion around haze / smoke machines recently.

Apart from the fire alarm issue, (which as mentioned before, can miraculously be avoided for resident DJs / corporate events), can anyone tell me why some venues are so against the use of effects such as smoke / haze? Surely like anything, if used sensibly and tastefully it's only going to add to the atmosphere of the night. Say a wedding couple spend £4000 on a venue, and £400 on a DJ, why shouldn't the DJ be able to provide a service to the best of their ability without hindrance from OTT venue managers, and having to leave their expensive equipment unused? maybe i'm grumpy as i've just driven back from a gig 150 miles away and unloaded the van!

love to hear your thoughts and experiences..

Mike Butcher - Future Sound Discos

www.futuresounddiscos.co.uk

T: 0208 090 3459

M: 07828 702 545

Hi all, just got back from a gig.. Seems to be a lot of discussion around haze / smoke machines recently.

Apart from the fire alarm issue, (which as mentioned before, can miraculously be avoided for resident DJs / corporate events), can anyone tell me why some venues are so against the use of effects such as smoke / haze? Surely like anything, if used sensibly and tastefully it's only going to add to the atmosphere of the night. Say a wedding couple spend £4000 on a venue, and £400 on a DJ, why shouldn't the DJ be able to provide a service to the best of their ability without hindrance from OTT venue managers, and having to leave their expensive equipment unused? maybe i'm grumpy as i've just driven back from a gig 150 miles away and unloaded the van!

love to hear your thoughts and experiences..

One possibility is a bad experience with another DJ, leading to a decision to ban all special effects.

There are a number of venues in my area with lots of expensive oil paintings on the walls. All effects machines are banned at them although I'm not sure what damage (if any) a hazer, for example, might cause.

Venues set their requirements, so we can choose to go with the flow, or the client will choose someone else who will!

I've heard that some types of venue can be 'black balled' for false alarm fire call-outs. Not sure if this is UK wide but can see the logic.

We worked at a venue last weekend and were allowed to use a Haze machine BUT......we had to sign a disclaimer to state that in the event of the fire alarm being triggered that we would pay the call out which was in the region of £300. We chose not to use the hazer.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

I don't bother anymore. Occasionally use it at a teen party in a village hall but even some village halls won't allow them because they have smoke detectors.

Can't say that I have ever been specifically asked to use one or anyone has complained because I haven't used one.

can anyone tell me why some venues are so against the use of effects such as smoke / haze?

Probably mainly to do with the increase in smoke detectors, or possibly it comes from venues with Dj's who abuse the entitlement and feel the need to hide themselves behind a pea souper, and don't just stop at a light haze but a heavy fog which permeates beyond the function room and into foyers, bar and reception areas encroaching on the comfort of other hotel residents because fog moves in draughts and is difficult to control, especially with guests coming and going from the room and doors opening and closing, some overspill into areas beyond the actual function room is highly likely. Not everybody is a DJ - Not everybody appreciates fog.

Over the last few summers there have been several high profile fires in guest houses and hotels featured in media and on the news, sadly costing the lives of those who were staying there. Fire regulations, once confined to very large multi-floor hotels are tightening into even the smallest guest house and pub, and they are constantly being reviewed. I can't believe all of the fire technology will be ripped out of these venues in the near future, and new ones introduced just because some deejays want to use their smoke machines.

Remotely Monitored (By the Fire Brigade) alarm system are beginning to become common place, especially in large rambling public venues or those with residents and little or no overnight front desk or staff cover, some insurance companies and local building regulations are also insisting on them, as it sometimes makes the difference between life and death and gives a vital extra few minutes to allow guests to escape and early attendance of the F.B limits building damage, all of which save the insurance companies money as fatalities, fire investigations and complete rebuilds tend to run to scarey looking figures containing many noughts.

we had to sign a disclaimer to state that in the event of the fire alarm being triggered that we would pay the call out which was in the region of £300

I believe that most fire brigades tend to charge for false alarms these days, so don't be surprised if the hotel passes this cost on should it occur. Not to mention the risk of taking an engine and crew away from a real 'shout', i'm sure the client and their guests wouldn't be too happy about having their party evacuated to the car park either.

Asking for a sensor to be temporarily turned off in a one storey / one roomed hall for a kids party is one thing, but asking venues such as hotels to turn off their fire alarm systems is a bit like removing all of the batteries from your own smoke detectors! - foolhardy and potentially life threatening. It may also leave the owners partially uninsured or open to further charges if a fire broke out and people were hurt and killed as a result of not getting that vital extra warning when it was found that the alarm was manually switched off and so contributed negatively to the outcome.

I'm surprised that it would even be considered an option, but I wholeheartedly agree, lets have a list of hotels who are willing to do this, then I won't make the mistake of ever checking my family in there.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'