Dj's United

American Audio Sdj1 Or Sdj 2

Hi all

As a loyal CD user, I am thinking about other options, and wondered initally whether these things are recommended as a good back up machine or maybe a main machine if you had a fairly standard gig.

Rob

Hi Rob

Before i went down the laptop route i had a serious look at something simular, the cortex version.

what i didnt like was the dipslay limitations on the smaller uints and the fact that there was little visual representation of your music collection. yes you can use keyboards to search for track but i thought the manual browse through music collections was limited and therefore hardwork.

also since i use itunes i can download and play direct through virtual dj. If im at avenue with wireless i can also download on the fly if i need to.

I believe the sdj2 has an inbuilt mixer and if thats what i have seen and tried it was quite usefull. for kids parties all you would need is one of these and a pair of powered cabs.

IMO a back utility only where as others use them as main playback.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

The SDJ1 is very good for what it is but relatively limited when compared to a Denon DNHD2500 or a Numark DDS or the Cortex machines.

On the other hand, if yiou know more or less what you will be playing in an evening, you can get a load of tracks on a couple of SD cards.

Or you can have one as a back up.

Citronic, Reloop and Stageline and DJ-Tech all have models similar to the SDJ1.

The Citronic has 2 SD slots plus a USB slot for a memory stick or hard drive. The DJ-Tech also has 2 SD slots and a USB slot.

The drawback with using a hard drive is you can't search with a keyboard so you would need to know what folder contained which tracks etc.

Edited by spinner

Use Citronic unit here as backup. Its can play from either SD Card (SDHC ok) and USB. Limit of 1000 tracks per media.

I've got SD card with standard party tracks, and could get throu a night. I also have the 1st/2nd dance on SD card for each wedding I do (and also a bunch of slowies).

Not as good as the DDS or Denon etc, but for the money - its a nice backup. Its in a flightcase with its own mixer.

Not sure if the American Audio unit accepts SDHC? If its doesn't you may be stuck with 2GB capacity of standard SD cards.

From experience of the ADJ lighting, they should be well built.

Jason

I have this machine as a back up it is patched into my mixer full time so is cued ready to go should laptop do something silly.

I would hate to use it full time as said above the display and search on it are very limited. It does work on a folder structure so I have 60's 70's 80's etc in separate folders which helps.

Great price and does the job. But as my main play out every gig I would hate it.

Nik

I read a fairly good review of one of their 19" mixers.

They have a complete range - CD and media players and mixers, active and passive PA, headphones, turtables, mics. etc. etc.

German brand (probably Chinese made), distributed in the UK by Audio Management of Swanscombe.

Stocked by DJKit and (I think) DJ Empire.

I read a fairly good review of one of their 19" mixers.

They have a complete range - CD and media players and mixers, active and passive PA, headphones, turtables, mics. etc. etc.

German brand (probably Chinese made), distributed in the UK by Audio Management of Swanscombe.

Stocked by DJKit and (I think) DJ Empire.

I have been using Reloop gear for a while now, its been very good for me, robust, good quality and reliable. I bought mine whilst I was serving in the Fatherland. I have a PA system, lights, and a hazer by them all uber reliable.