Interview with Spinner
Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:37 PM
1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?
2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?
Steve Skinner. 57. Sawtry, Cambridgeshire. Married. Son 19, Daughter 18. Both at university.
3. What is the Name of your Disco?
Double "S" Music Machine
4. How long have you been a DJ?
16 years ( in 2 stretches, latest 10 years )
5. What inspired you to become a DJ
Love of music and it was a substitute for no longer singing with bands.
6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?
7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc).
Wedding ( majority of work ).
8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?
Turned down the trim on one mixer channel, forgot to turn it back up, announced the B & G's first dance then couldn't figure it out when there was no audio!
9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)
Would have bought better equipment initially.
10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?
Empathy, experience, musical knowledge, high level of service, willingness to listen, flexibility, professionalism, smart dress code, good quality, well presented equipment.
11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?
A pair of Stageline top loading CD players ( made to look like the Pioneer CDJ500 ). They had no anti-shock and I sold them on soon after.
12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?
A hard drive based system.
13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?
A robot that puts it all together at the start and takes it down after.
14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?
In this case it was before I'd started. I turned up for a wedding in a church hall in South East London in 1970 only to find the drivers in both cabinets had blown. The bride gave me a tenner then got out her Dansette!!
15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?
The buzz from a full floor. Praise from delighted clients.
16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?
Putting it up and breaking it down.
17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?
Physical inability. A surplus of income.
18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?
Become more hard drive based.
19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?
Have you got .......? ( without which you couldn't do the job )
20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?
Contact an agent he knew.
21. And worst advice you were ever given?
You can’t charge more than………...
22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)
Used to be all three. Now the last two.
23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!
It really depends on the crowd but often "Build Me Up Buttercup" - Foundations, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" - Wham, "Reach For The Stars" - S Club Seven will bring people rushing to the floor ( not favourites of mine )
24. Mode of transportation.
25. What is the furthest that you've travelled from home for a single gig?
26. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?
27. What is the largest/smallest audience numbers you've played to?
28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?
29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)
To take part in a future DJU Interview send me a PM - Thanks Paul
Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:41 PM
The Cornish will arise again !
Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.
Keep pasties Cornish
Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:54 PM
Your Big Event
Direct: 0797 0717 448
Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:28 PM
|QUOTE (stevemitchell @ Sep 28 2005, 07:40 PM)|
|30. What is your favourite , cockney rhyming slang phrase?|
I was down the bath with me richard and ordered a few tiddlys when I needed a jim. So I left a pony on the jump and when I came back there was a jacks left.
Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:03 AM
Your Big Event
Direct: 0797 0717 448
Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:43 AM
Why Buy New - New, Ex-Demo and Graded Disco Equipment at below retail prices
CPC - Great Prices on Leads, Connectors, Consumables, Disco Equipment and Much More
Glow Brothers - Wholesale Distributors of Glow Sticks & Products
Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:35 AM
PROFESSIONAL DJ+KJ+SOLO VOCALIST
WEDDING SINGER+COVERED UP DUO
TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH PIPER
S.I.A LICENCED DOOR SUPERVISOR
COVERING NORTH WEST AND UK
MOBILE: 07591 755 743
PAT TESTED: YES
MU MEMBER 490895
CRB CLEARED 09th Feb 2011
Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:46 PM
Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:52 PM
If anyone else would like to take part as well let me know
Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:12 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users