Dj's United

Look on the bright side....we've not had to announce "Last Orders" or "Time" yet.

Still virtually speaking....we're now JUST in the final hour...

Last orders is in 4 or 5 records time.... "time at the bar" is 4 or 5 records after that. The bride and groom are staying till the very end and dont want an arch/leaving line.

One or two people...having made contact with the bride and groom, noshed the buffet and been seen to be there, are starting to wander off...not because of the music, (they've been listening and dancing to it most of the night), but because they've got a 90 minute journey home.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the oldies beginning to wilt, there is a great deal of sweat running off some red faced rotund chaps, they need a break! Micheal J, Billie J or Beat it! Sometimes if a filler both! What next?

From Billie Jean (almost any mix...) into S Club 7 "Dont Stop moving". Easy mix...similar pace, and similar age-recognition.

But lets not forget the 20 somethings... I say...bring on the big guns.... Room 5/luv'd up.... the Lynx advert music..

WHA I love to party....everybody does...

Into....????

Nobody has discussed money with me, so I'm not joining in, no play until the pay ! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Can I come up and say the usual 'I'm a DJ you know' etc etc etc ? Go on please !

BTW Have you got anything good ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

well i take your room 5 and then id give ya a kyile track!

BTW Have you got anything good ?

"Anything good sir?...well, those 130 people on the dancefloor seem to have enjoyed everything so far. What song, specifically would you like?"

Or alternatively...(not for weddings)

"We're saving the decent music until the decent people turn up" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Which Kylie song DJ_Kray, hopefully not a Stock Aitkin and Waterman one... ?

"Anything good sir?...well, those 130 people on the dancefloor seem to have enjoyed everything so far. What song, specifically would you like?"
I Dunno, yopu're the DJ..........

Your Big Event

Hi

ok from Kylie, I'll assume it's Can't get you outa my head.

Into:

Mojo, Lady her me tonight, into:

DJ (god help us) Otsi, Hey baby, into

Scooter, ligical song...for the youngsters, finally!

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

OK we've got...

70% of the dancefloor filled

Around 40 people still sitting down...most of which are over 50...(they are probably just knackered though) maybe mic them in a minute, "all right at the back?"

and we're in the last 40 minutes, enough time left for around 8 or 9 more songs.

well i dont normally wind things down till 15mins before the end so i think i would play a few big party classic's before i do so i would go from rock you body to blame it on the boogie by the jackson 5 then to jeff beck and hi ho silver lining to get everybody up waving there arms in the air http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif and singing!!!

Ok we hit a snag here, we've already played hi ho silver lining.

8 songs to go, including 3 smoochies and your final song?

Before I start easing off I'd probably go with Five, we will rock you, depending on whether the crowd is in a vocal mood.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Are 3 smoothcies gonna be enough? It is a wedding after all, and the older bridesmaid has already disappeared behind the leisure club with at least 5 blokes throughout the day.

This is something that we would probably gauge "Live" on the night...theres a certain rule of thumb which suggests that slowies are more to some people, than ordinary "dancey" tunes. They hold sentimental value for some people...eg: The song that was playing on the wireless when Hilary and Sam layed together under the young oak tree and carved a love heart, a cupids arrow, and their initials into each others legs... (ohh thats a bit more permenent than a henna tatoo...)

Lets say that there were 4 requests outstanding for slowies...do you drop one (of the slow requests?) or loose one of the remaining dancy ones..?

Minus 10,000 points to anyone who says, "lets play all the requests and just over-run by 5 minutes"...Some venue managers will have flicked the room lights on, pulled your plugs out the wall, and reversed your vehicle up to the fire exit for you(!) by 1 minute past the finish time...

Hi

Ok for the last of the uptempo tracks, you find 3 or 4 with similar tempos that you know mix well together, but only play 2 and a half to 3 minutes of each, plenty of time for your smoochie requests.

Darren

last few up-tempo. Danni "I begin to wonder" into into "American dream" (didn't do that much for the dance fans) into Groovejet into Lisa scott Lee "Lately" mostly poppy disco dance that by now everyone will bop to.

And to kick off the slowies Bread "I'm gonna make it with you"

Edited by martink

Crikey! looks like we made it through an entire gig (SO FAR!) without playing "Dancing Queen"...

Or shall we do that at the very end.... (we'll have to wait and see I guess....

I always find that Smokie - Livin next door to alice is a classic end of the night song and that everyone will give 100% too. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

At Weddings I always slow things down over 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the audience, and also include a few motown tracks, for example:-

UB40 Red Red Wine

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody

Fontella Bass - Rescue Me

The Elgins - Heaven must have sent you

Martha & the Vandellas - Jimmy Mack

Then a couple of smoochies...and usually finishing with the B & G's chosen first dance again (unless it's something like Heavy Metal http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif ).

After the slowies, New York, New York, everybody up, then as the lights go on Ken Dodd - Happiness and Morecombe and Wise - Bring me sunshine, both as people are departing

Your Big Event

If there's one record that i try and leave in my case it's that NEW YORK, NEW YORK....

Going to parties years ago, this is all that got played at the end of the night, so i think i've been mentally scarred....

If there's one record that i try and leave in my case it's that NEW YORK, NEW YORK....

But at least you've got it in your case... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif so a little part of you, deep down, must know its a good record to have for some events.

Its a slowie if you want it to be a slowie, its a dancey one if they want it to be a dancey one, its a sing-along if they wanna sing-along..

Good ol' Black eyes 'imself.

(You may think that Frank Sinatra's nickname was "Blue Eyes" but I've played "NY NY" in a few rough places...)

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fish.gif