Dj's United

Help needed please!

I'm doing a wedding New Years Eve. I met with the couple last night and they discussed having a Karaoke - something I don't offer as part of my show. Naturally I made some enquiries today but I couldn't find anything suitable for hire so I may need to purchase all the gear and pass on 25% of the cost to the client.

Does anyone have any ideas that spring to mind? Do you have or know someone who has a rental unit available? Do you know someone selling their Karaoke gear? Are there good deals to be had somewhere? Do we have a recommended Karaoke supplier on this forum?

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

[insert quirky comment]

Have a word with Dan, don't think he is doing karaoke on NYE http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/whistling.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Just bought some stuff, 30 disks + player £275

I want to rent to other djs in the new year, I am in the Milton Keynes area!

Sorry don't know where you are!

The deal came from http://www.sunflykaraoke.co.uk/

hot hits pack, + 70s 80s 90s. + a couple more to make up the numbers

Darren,

Depends on What you will accept as a Karaoke.

Discs are the main cost.

A mixer with efx is needed 4 mike channels with 16 efx starts at about £49 you can then plug it into your Disco System. You may have to connect direct to your amp as sometimes mixer to mixer can cause a ground loop and you will get a buzz that can be heard at high volume. Use ground lift switch or get a ground loop filter, £12.99 at Maplins

Or

Get a powered mixer I currently use either a Behringer PMH1000 (600w) or PMH3000 (800w) They will have all the efx you need at £259 and £389

OR

Dedicated Karaoke/disco Mixer Vocopro KJ-7000 3 channel Video switching, 3 channel fader plus cross fader with efx and key changer etc. I use mine with a cdg capable twin disk player. I use this with either a 1300w or 2500w amp (or Both) with full range cabs and subs (knock out the subs when the karaoke is on)

Cdg player

Cheapest I know of is from tesco's one of there portable DVD players with 8" screen at £89 WITH a video out . Connect extra tv, connect to mixer, bung in the disc, select track and off you go http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

JVC are the best stand alone, RSQ are the same chassis not cheap but the best. Or you can buy a numark CDN-25cdg twin disc for £225.

TV £39 pounds and up for new 14" portables or £1400 for 48" Plasma or projector

I now use lcd flat screens

Microphones.

Shure PG48 £39 or SM58 £99 Behringer XMH5000 £19 or XM1800s £19 for 3. The Behringers are good at not picking up feed back. You will need to tweak the Mike EQ channel to make the XM1800s work well. Wireless mikes are good DONT buy VHF freq mikes go for UHF. They start at about £99 upwards

OR

Use pc with a Hoster program. ZOOM will let you LEGALLY back up their discs provided you still own the original. Much easier http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

However the biggest cost is still the discs. You can sometimes buy the compete Sunfly collection for about £1500 on ebay.

So cheap set up (add to disco) Mixer, Mikes, TV's about £200 plus discs

Or .............how much do you want to spend?

Jimbo

Edited by Jimbo55

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

I can lend you the Karaoke stuff. But you'll need to borrow / buy your discs since i've only got a handful of discs which were used for demo'ing the players, certainly not enough to do an entire Karaoke.

Thank you for the offer Darren - MK is a bit too far away from me (I'm in Crewe - it's the centre of the universe in case you didn't know).

Loads of info there thanks Jimbo. I think I'll give the plasma a miss this year though! I do like the idea of buying a stand-alone though.....As for how much I want to spend, this will be my first time karaoke'ing so I want to spend as little as possible to see if I like it. Having attended a Christmas Karaoke last year as a guest, it worked wonders but we were a great crowd (free bar, no partners, fancy dress - you get the gist). A wedding may offer a more balanced viewpoint.

Anyway, I'll take up your kind offer thanks Chris. I'll be in touch to discuss.

I'll search the forum for recommended starter packs of Karaoke discs now...

Finally, another big thank you to Black Vinyl. Mo has called me twice this year to offer his support and advice when I've been in need. I've never met him but he personifies what this forum is all about - helping each other out. Thanks Mo - keep up the good work!

[insert quirky comment]

I got an Alto L8 from ebay for £49 last year cant remember who it was from now.

BUT Behringer have a new one UB120 2FX for £75 and it will probably get discounted.

UB12 2FX

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

Try to get "Auld Ayne Sine" (sp?) on the Karaoke Screen for midnight...

It'll save everyone going "Shall all acquaintance be forgot and never mmm mmm mmmmmmmm la laa laaa laaaa laaa laaaaaaa la laaaaaaa for the sake of la la mmmmmm" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

And theres always someone standing on the own right infront of your speakers, with a finger in one ear, and his/her mobile phone shoved hard to their other ear trying to wish someone else, in the same position at some other party "happy new year". http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Edited by Gary