Dj's United

People singing through a normal disco setup

I have a booking for a wedding in a couple of weeks time and the bride has asked for the first dance to be a song sung by one of her bridesmaids. The bride has booked me for several discos over the past 5 years and become a good friend so I want to make this work as well as possible for her.

The song in question is the candlelight mix of Heaven by DJ Sammy.

My rig is not set up for Kareoke and I am pretty sure a kareoke version of this track would not exist. The only way I can think of doing this is to play the track and let the young lady sing over the top of it.

Is there an easier way of doing this?

I would guess the Karaoke version is available.

You will need some reverb probably to help her along a bit, it may sound flat otherwise.

I don't really like to do this, but, it's her big day..... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/patriot.gif

It does exsist, both disco EZH018 track 2 and slow version SFMW837 track 10. and I have both. If your nearby I can lend you an fx mixer, mics and karaoke player. I live in kent. PM me so I can email you a sample of each track.

Just to make sure they are the right ones before you spend any money.

Or if you have one of those portable DVD players they normally play cdg. Order the tracks via proburn (from most on line CDG dealers now) and you can have a personal disc made.

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

Many thanks for the offer but I am a bit further away than just around the corner.

I also don't want to go to the trouble of a Kareoke setup just for one song but I would like to possibly get a version of the song without the vocals if it exists.

When you refer to Kareoke versions being available are they versions that could be played through a normal CD player or are they video disc versions (sorry if I sound ignorant on this but I really have no idea have a kareoke set up works I have always avoided them like the plague in the past).

QUOTE (Supradave @ Aug 13 2006, 10:18 AM)
I have a booking for a wedding in a couple of weeks time and the bride has asked for the first dance to be a song sung by one of her bridesmaids. The bride has booked me for several discos over the past 5 years and become a good friend so I want to make this work as well as possible for her.

The song in question is the candlelight mix of Heaven by DJ Sammy.

My rig is not set up for Kareoke and I am pretty sure a kareoke version of this track would not exist. The only way I can think of doing this is to play the track and let the young lady sing over the top of it.

Is there an easier way of doing this?

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago.

The bride's mother sang a special song at the start of the evening.

I simply got a karaoke version of the song in question and gave her a radio mic. going through one of the mic. inputs on my mixer. A corded mic. would have done just as well.

The first thing you need to know is if the singer knows the words, then you'll just need a karaoke backing track. If they don't, then you'll need a cdg file for the lyrics, if your using a computer, or else print out the lyrics in a large font so she can glance at it to remind her.

If you don't a echo on your mixer, then you might want to borrow/hire/buy something like this.

http://www.sbpcc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FEX800.jpg

£38 from a Behringer stockist, although you'll probably find it cheaper if you shop around.

QUOTE (Big Ben @ Aug 14 2006, 06:01 PM)
The first thing you need to know is if the singer knows the words, then you'll just need a karaoke backing track. If they don't, then you'll need a cdg file for the lyrics, if your using a computer, or else print out the lyrics in a large font so she can glance at it to remind her.

If you don't a echo on your mixer, then you might want to borrow/hire/buy something like this.

http://www.sbpcc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FEX800.jpg

£38 from a Behringer stockist, although you'll probably find it cheaper if you shop around.

Blue Aran were knocking them out cheap recently. I bought one.

As a musician I can tell you that you absolutely HAVE TO ensure the singer is familiar with the version you will be playing. The only way to do this is to let them have a copy of the version you will be playing.

I've auditioned for bands and had musicians audition for mine where we agree to play a couple of covers together but we end up playing differently - I could faitfully be reproducing the album track whilst the guitarist has been rehearsing to the live EP, etc.

You really need to meet up with her and test everything first.

[insert quirky comment]

• 7 months later...

As a musician I can tell you that you absolutely HAVE TO ensure the singer is familiar with the version you will be playing. The only way to do this is to let them have a copy of the version you will be playing.

I've auditioned for bands and had musicians audition for mine where we agree to play a couple of covers together but we end up playing differently - I could faitfully be reproducing the album track whilst the guitarist has been rehearsing to the live EP, etc.

You really need to meet up with her and test everything first.

as i found when someone wanted to sing happy birthday and the karaoke version has some extra widdley diddley bits and a key change!!... oops!!

All the info is spot on. for example love on the rocks by Niel Diamond is a Karaoke classic but if someone selects the Legends karaoke version they will really struggle to sing it!

The DJ sammy versions both quick and slow are very popular at karaoke nights ,my guess is that the singer ..sings this at karaoke gigs or as at very least has done so before ..I would enquire if they know what version they normally sing ie sunfly Eazy hits etc a lot of karaoke singers do.

not a lot to add to whats been put but good luck

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

No problems with pre-arranged singing eg at a wedding by a designated guest, happens quite often. Quite a nice addition to the event.

I don't accept drunken idiots wanting to shout into my mic at 11.45 at a gig. Happened to a mate of mine, and it wrecked one of his speakers. I always decline this offer!