Dj's United

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digital MultipleX

• 4 months later...

Here's where I join the ranks of idiots!

I ave just got a dmx strobe with a trancesion 6 channel contro;;er...there are 6 channels and a master.

If I want the strobe to operate on channels 1 ,,,what do I set the dipswitch to?

I also have a couple of moving heads...can I use the remaining channels to work these. If so, how do I get numbers 2 3 4 and 5 in dipswitch language.

I also note there are ....oh lets do this one first :(

If I have a moving head...I want channel 1 to work the spin, channel 2 to tilt, channel 3 to gobo change. What would the dipswitch setting be...1 2 3? or just 1?

If you want each DMX fixture to work independently then you have to assign a different ID to each, but you also have to allow for each fixture's channels, thus, if you have a 2 channel strobe and you assign it to DMX ID1 then your next feature will start at ID3. If this was a 4 channel fixture then your next fixture would be ID7.

as to your question as to the dip switches:

1 = pin 1 on

2 = pin 2 on

3 = pin 1+2 on

4 = pin 3 on

5 = pin 3+1 on

6 = pin 3+2 on

7 = pin 3+2+1 on

8 = pin 4 on

and so on.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

:fear: think i'll read this thread again, and again then print it and read it in the morning.

however am i right in saying the featured gobo/DMX guide is Courtesy of KAM?

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

If you want each DMX fixture to work independently then you have to assign a different ID to each, but you also have to allow for each fixture's channels, thus, if you have a 2 channel strobe and you assign it to DMX ID1 then your next feature will start at ID3. If this was a 4 channel fixture then your next fixture would be ID7.

as to your question as to the dip switches:

1 = pin 1 on

2 = pin 2 on

3 = pin 1+2 on

4 = pin 3 on

5 = pin 3+1 on

6 = pin 3+2 on

7 = pin 3+2+1 on

8 = pin 4 on

and so on.

Got you! So the fixture automatically assigns its channels in numeric order? So a six channel controller can take a two channel strobe on channels 1 &2. If I have a four channel unit I set that to channel 3 and that automatically also takes up channels 4 5 6? I think I got it! Eureka! Don't tell me I'm wrong :o(

Many many thanks!!!

• 1 year later...

OK got the velleman k8062, stuck it together, downloaded freestyler and tried the supplied software, not a sausage. The light on the box (power led) is on but the dmx led is not. No smells or smoke/flames etc coming out of the unit. I am using vista as my os, any clues ???????

• 2 weeks later...

OK got the velleman k8062, stuck it together, downloaded freestyler and tried the supplied software, not a sausage. The light on the box (power led) is on but the dmx led is not. No smells or smoke/flames etc coming out of the unit. I am using vista as my os, any clues ???????

Did you get it sorted?

Is the Velleman showing up in device manager (as either a HID usb device, or a USB device)?

Jim

Use the supplied DMX software that came with the 8062. This is very crude, but does work. I suggest trying it with 1 fixture with address 1.

Once you can tweak a few channels, and see the results, then move onto freestyler knowing the hardware is ok.

Jason

• 5 months later...

Hi, all. Now I have read the posts on this subject, Im happy about giving each unit its own address and counting how many channels it takes up. I have recently come across a Botex dc 1216 controller, I have daisy chained some Show Tec LED par cans (X3) some Scanic Scanner 250's (X2) and a Scanic Ray gun 100 (red and green laser). I have followed the advice given on here but the whole thing does not respond to anything I do, Im guessing that the unit may have some scenes etc still in its memory and because my lights are different it just does what it wants, apart from mindless violence against the thing, has anyone got any tips for me, apart from a college course :scared:

Rather than link everything up, try just one fixture.

Set the address of that fixture to 1 and see if the controller works with it.

Some controller and some fixtures sometimes have the hot and cold (+ and -) the opposite way round.

Check the pin assignments on the controller and the ones on the fixture agree.

Are you also making sure you are using a suitable lead and not an unbalanced mic lead.

Jim

Many thanks Jim, I will be all over it like a tramp on chips today, I will not be denied !!!!!!!!!!! :book:

Hi Mick, thanks for the PM.

I thought I would reply on the forum for other to see though.

You say that all your cables where bought as 'mic' cables and you will go and get DMX cables.

You need to check the 'mic' cables, as if they are 'balanced' they will be ok for DMX.

The XLR will have numbers on the pins, the connections for DMX are :-

1 - Screen

2 - Data -ve (cold)

3 - Data +ve (hot)

If it is a unbalance mic cable then it will be connected as follows :-

1- Screen

2- +ve (signal)

3- Not used or connected to pin 1

A balanced mic/audio cable is connected as :-

1- Screen

2- In Phase/ +ve (hot)

3- Out of Phase / -ve (cold)

As you can see pins 2 and 3 have different descriptions for DMX and audio but that doesn't really matter, the point being that pin 2 is connected to pin 2, and pin 3 is connected to pin 3.

In the unbalanced mic cable pin 3 will either be not connected at all, or will be shorted out to pin 1.

If your XLRs are the typre that can be taken apart, you can just open up the shell and have a look at the connections to see what is happening to pin 3. If not you will need to meter the cable out.

I hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

Jim

Cheers Jim, checked the connectors and they are connected as you describe, so I now deduce, (from your tips and some youtube vids on DMX), I have a problem with the signal getting from the desk to my lights, they don't respond to any slider movements at all. I will now get more coffee and go again, cheers again Jim.

Edited by JimBoylan

:Thumbup: OK I now have a result and a garage thats like Blackpool illuminations, the problem was simple............. On the Botex desk there is an unmarked switch, this is the polarity switch and described in the manual. As the Meerkat said Sipulsk. Thank you Jim for your advice as it leant me towards a comms issue from desk to lights. I can now practice some scenes and hopefully build some decent results. I like this DMX stuff now a slight break from my 9 to 5 job..........

Many thanks again. :thanks:

The switch has the same affect as crossing pins 2 and 3.

The next step is to add one fixture at a time to make sure they all behave as you expect them to behave.

Dont forget that if you had multiple fixtures of the same type (ie your two Scanic Scanner 250's) and you want them to operate identical to each other, you can assign the same DMX address to them both.

Most scanners also have switches to invert the pan or tilt so you can have the same signal going to them but have them running as mirror images of each other, this is useful if you have them at oposite ends of your truss for example.

One final thing, don't forget about using a terminator at the end of your DMX chain.

Jim

Edited by JimBoylan

Everything is working great now Jim, I am not using a terminator, is it important ?

Roger that, will put it on my list now I don't have to buy cables ;) Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

I didn't spot it in the thread (apologies if I missed it), but a very useful tool to have when using dipswitches is a dip switch calculator

I will post a link here (it's not commercial) which I think you will find really handy. http://www.sabretechnology.co.uk/calc.asp

Freestyler has one built in

For iPhone users it gets even better - download 'Lampy'

Hope this makes life easier chaps !

The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....

MY disco website CHEAP DJ PLI amongst several others ;-)

Decimal is for wimps... Real Men know Binary!!

:Thumbup:

Actually, one strong selling point on ADJ par cans is the rear 7 seg LED display and push buttons. Setting DMX channel/mode, or simply the static colour does not require a manual - just press "MODE" a few times.

Decimal is for wimps... Real Men know Binary!!

:Thumbup:

Actually, one strong selling point on ADJ par cans is the rear 7 seg LED display and push buttons. Setting DMX channel/mode, or simply the static colour does not require a manual - just press "MODE" a few times.

You just need the manual to understand the LED panel in its ownright though! :D :D :D

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

You just need the manual to understand the LED panel in its ownright though! :D :D :D

Na, only a few modes, and I mainly run static (CL0..CL7), or sound to light (with others being slaves with "SLA" set as mode).

Only need to read the manual to know which DMX mode to use for simple RGB.

I have a 6 slider DMX controller for the Pars, so set them Channel 1 and Channel 4 alternate, so controll all lights without messing with controller modes.

I remember learning Hex when I was about 12, and was programming assembler. Maths teacher thought she would make an example of me (as I was and still are :crap: at math).. and asked me to add a few numbers and give the answer in hex..

No problemo :-) She got her own back the week after with factoring :-(

I have an aversion to manuals, if its not easy to follow - I really struggle to understand the manual. One reason I'm grateful to Alex for helping me out with Joomla - info overload when I read various sites!

... learning Hex when I was about 12....programming assembler..... add a few numbers and give the answer in hex..

...She got her own back the week after with factoring :-(

I have an aversion.... ... Joomla - .

Anyone got the faintest idea what this guy is on about ?

:bloodyhell:

:D

The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....

MY disco website CHEAP DJ PLI amongst several others ;-)