#16 djmick

djmick

Occasional Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(hellbound1972 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:04 PM) View Post

No one is dancing, asking for requests or in any shape or form interested in what you are doing during dinner.

IMO it is a waste of energy to actually "DJ" during background as you just look silly with headphones on your head setting up the next song whilst people are looking at you from their table with food in their mouth.

Agreed That,s my "Breaktime"

#17 qcdiscodynamic

qcdiscodynamic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

Apart from 2 I've always been asked to be there for the duration of the meal providing background music.
I don't mind it but then equally I've done some wherenobody would have noticed if I'd not been there. Having just written that, I've occasionally had people come up to request things or to ask for details about a song I've played during a meal, which is always nice and makes me feel that I haven't been wasting my time.

The best background music I ever provided was at a halloween themed ball: every track I played had some reference to the supernatural or halloween and it was a labour of love.

I'm not surprised that a lot of other people go for jazz and swing. In my opinion a lot of tracks that fall within those genres are ideal for background music during a meal.

I tend to mix it up a bit if I'm there for the duration of the thing and try to cover most styles. I find that doo wop, country, reggae, soft rock, 'sophisti-pop,*'and soul work very well for background music. As was noted earlier in the thread, there are generally some excellent current releases on Radio 2's playlist that'll be good to slip in too.

*Sophisti-pop: I heard this mentioned on a radio station once and made a point of looking it up. It's basically UK pop music during the 1980s that incorporated jazz and/or soft-rock elements. A lot ofincludes bands like The Style Council, Sade and Scritti Politti.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users