Dj's United

Well...was it as good for you.....?

Well today has been the longest night...so how was this weekend's gigs for you?. Was it the best gig you've ever done, or truely the LONGEST night??

I had the annual dinner dance at a Golf club about 15 miles away. Always held in a marquee with the average age of the audience:- late 30's - early 70's.

This is the fourth year that we have worked the gig, and it had always had a reputation for being a no-goer wth regard to dancefloor numbers http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sad.gif . For a start, their annual Golf competition starts at 6AM the following Morning!, so 80% of the audience has usually left by 10.30. Traditionally, we have ended the night at 12.00 with around 6 people left in the marquee.

However, we were very surprised this year http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif . After a late start due the caterers turning up late, and the raffle etc, we had a full dancefloor, and quite a large number of people still around when we finished. No idea what had changed, from previous years, but a far better atmosphere all round.

The only drawback was the thunderstorm that blew up out of nowhere and the high winds during it which played havoc with the Marquee. Of course the only leak in the marquee was directly above the lighting Rig http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/188.gif - however a piece of Gaffa Tape soon stopped that. We had the usual problem of the Caterer, Bar, Disco and floodlighting all sharing the only two extension leads in the place but other than that, quite a successful Event!.

it had always had a reputation for being a no-goer wth regard to dancefloor numbers  

Don't you find that though. If you go to a gig thinking it'll be a non-starter it always exceeds your expectations and of course vice versa.

I'm afraid our gig was a below average wedding. Even the bride decribed her guests as a bunch of boring bas:cense:ds when they wouldn't even leave their seats to watch them cut the cake. It took three attempts at asking, persuading and finally begging to get them to take an interest in the proceedings. So we gave it a 2 out of 10 even though the games went very well.

Here's to the next one

PaulS

Well, as I had a weekend "off" from DJ'ing...except when some bright spark friend of mine asked me to show my little BBQ gathering my CD-decks and mixing...but hey! I'm always up for a quickie amongst friends. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

At some point, after two days of celebrating, I'm sure that this room will stop rotating at 33.3rpm...(must be a DJ phenomena!) http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

Truely was the longest day, started at 6AM driving to the daytime gig, setting up an OB Tent and 'producing' that, another guy did the speaking bits !, Had already set up the evening function on Thursday evening late, 11pm and went straight from one to the other, didn't see anyone until 8pm then the B&G Came in with some requests...

Boyzone/Vengaboys/Aqua/Cheesey Stuff...............................and Agadoo, plus many other 'classics'.

The best man came up and told me it would be better if he chose all the music tonight as he knew most of the people in the room and he was a proffessional party animal. Then told me not to play ny Boyzone/Vengaboys/Aqua but to keep it 'clubey' all night.Knew I was in for a very long gig.

Took no notice of him and played usual 'classics', Reach by S Club, Weather Girls etc and dancefloor was packed all night from song one, except the 'pro' was not happy and telling me where I was going wrong. Brought his mate up, 'I used to do a bit of DJ'ing, when it was real stuff, you know turntables'. At this point I wanted by mum !!

'Have you got anything else we could tap our feet to as we don't like what you are playing' 'What do you want'...You know the rest.

80 people in the function, enough food for 25. Don't announce it

End of night and the groom asked if I could wait until after the honeymoon to collect my earning (80 mile round trip). Had to accept a cheque, with a tenner added for 'admin'

Got home at 3.30. A woken by a knock on the door at 8.30am so here I am now. I want my mum !!

BTW Didn't get around to playing Agadoo.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

longest day and long gig, wedding 5 till 12.. Bride phoned me on friday to make sure i would be there from 5. So arrived on time and for the first 60 minutes the bar staff and myself enjoyed the music, the wedding party didnt turn up till 6 as they were busy having photos done lol. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

First buffet served at 6.15, tried to get the 30 guest dancing at 7, knew i wouldn't so took it easy, more guests arrive second buffet at 9, now 120 in the room. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Bride and groom http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/hug.gif did first dance at 9.30, then it rocked all the way till 12. It was the usuall mixture of old and new music, strange how the clubby punters when wild when i played the bay city roller shang a lang http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

60 mile drive home, straight to bed to be awoken at 7.30 with those words.........................dad, can i have......... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Member of The Musicians Union

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work."

My gig last nite was a bit of a pain in the ar$e. was a wedding in a hotel down the road - its a lovely venue for a wedding EXCEPT they always stiick the dj in theis basement bar witha a really low celing which gets ridiculouslly hot. So its the longest day of the year, weathers beautiful, would you rather be out in the beautiful grounds of the hotel or underground in a sweaty hole. Mmmm thought so - its even harder since theres no point announcing anything etc because nobody can hear it anyway.

Had people on the dancefloor after first dance (9.30 instead of 7pm) until the fireworks - trouble is most guests took the 11pm firework display as their cue to leave. I thought the night was poor - however i had the b&g's parents come up to me at hte end thanking me so much etc: have u got some cards, we'll definatley use you again!

Strange, very strange

I'm always up for a quickie amongst friends.

This would account for the bruises then!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

The best man came up and told me it would be better if he chose all the music tonight as he knew most of the people in the room and he was a proffessional party animal. Then told me not to play ny Boyzone/Vengaboys/Aqua but to keep it 'clubey' all night.

Well ADS, I personally think that you did the right thing there...considering that the Bride and Groom had specifically told you what to play... I'd MUCH rather have the Best Man on my back, than the Bride and Groom (Theres gotta be a pun in there somewhere about having the bride on her back, but there might be kids reading... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/huh.gif )

The other guests are much more likely to side with you, if you're going WITH the Bride & Grooms requests/wishes,than the Best Mans.

I think sometimes the best man let's the power go to his head. I had one last year that started to lecture me before we'd even started - I don't want any rave, I don't want you to play the music too loud etc (notice the I, me attitude). I assured him I knew what I was doing and walked away, as I did so overheard him say to his mate 'I don't think that DJ likes me' to which his mate replied 'He's a good judge of character then' http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It didn't end there though because he started to stir things and the next thing I had the groom up saying he didn't want any rave (twice), then the manager of the hotel who'd been approached by the bride saying she didn't want any rave and so it went on. I could understand their concern if I was in my 20's.

Then after yet another attempted lecture from the best man I told him to go away & enjoy himself as his duties for the day were now finished & I was taking over. I also asked him to come back at the end of the night if he had any complaints.

At last time to start & I must admit that I felt nervous. It was as if every one in the place was waiting for me to play the wrong thing. Started with an ABBA mix & kept things middle of the road. What a night - certainly one of my top 5 weddings for last year. The dance floor was full from start to finish.

At the end I went looking for the best man to give him his chance to complain - when he saw me approaching he legged it up to his room - never to be seen again. The http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif jobs worth.

PaulS

I think sometimes the best man let's the power go to his head

Luckily didnt have any trouble with the Best Man myself as he was having to separate the usual possible brawl that happens when all the families turn up!!

That in mind, last night for me was a real Hmmmmm night.

Was asked to set the music up early (4ish) as the b&g wanted the speeches to be done over the speakers..

Fair enough (although they only sprung this on me on Friday - Bless em) but could only set up the music as the venue was a marquee, the ceiling at the side was too low for the lighting truss to be set up and I only had a very small area to set up in (was promised later could move it...)

Introduced the speeches etc around 7ish (just after desert) which finished around 7.30/45. Then had to wait for the head tables to be broke down so I could pull the DJ stand out, then set up the lights and turned the music back up finally ready around 8.30. B&G dance at 8.50. Dance floor full from the 8.30 start, then full again after b&g dance...

This Marquee has no aircon OR breeze so is VERY hot.. And Environmental health officials tend to stand nearby so music not very loud.. THEN the evening buffet is served at 10 o'clock! Not too bad I hear you cry, EXCEPT the event is ending at 11! (Marquee in built up area).

WHAT was the point of the food that late I dont know - Result empty floor for 20mins.. Easy 35s mins after they got back up but they do only remember the last hour -- and 20 mins of that was stuffing their face....

May be I'm just whinging, but seemed a really strange and a little wasted gig... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/blink.gif

had a blinder last night... couldn't have gone wrong if I tried... really good crowd - up from 8 until 12..... on the down side... Bestman got p:cense:ed and went to his room just before he should have paid me... several telephone calls to his room later, the duty manager went up with the brides best friend and got me money for me..... really good night but I am now not ever going to say "pay me at the end when I know you are happy with what I have done".... next weekend is mega busy... 2 schools friday.... school and 18th on saturday then a staff party for a hotel on sunday!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I had a blinding weekend and never lifted a finger!

Friday had friends round for a Bar-b-Q to celebrate 17yrs of married bliss! Plenty of falling down water, good tunes in the garden till late got to bed about 1am because...........

Woke at 0730 for leaving for France to a little town called Bethune about 72k outside Calais. Every year they have a summer solstice music festival which takes up the whole of the market square from early Sat to early hours of Sunday.

Arrived 1600 at hotel to find it has changed hands (we go every year) and we're not expected despite booking it in Feb!

Insist on our room and after a little discussion are given a superb room overlooking the square. Upon looking out see two artics unloading staging, lighting gantrys with powered trusses the works!

Off to local tabac to meet old friends and after several beers mention our 'anniversary' at which point our patron rollls out a very decent Champagne on the house.....magic!

By this time sound checks are going on and this year it is LOUD but the intelligent lighting is impressive as is the sound and they have erected two stages one each side of clocktower and run all the cabling to the other end of the sqare for 'two' sounddesks, one for each stage!

Hungry now so into hotel for mediocre meal not a patch on last few years, from there onto Irish pub on the town square called the Kerry Yob! Good DJ loads of party stuff and singalong stuff and this place is wall to wall people! Plenty of guinesses later out into town square which is now packed to capacity, old young and plenty in between. Bands taking it in turns on the two stages, impressive but would have been better could I understand French lyrics!!!

More beer at various cafes round the square as we watch the action dancing (yes me too) etc. Funny thing was of course France is one hour ahead of us so on the longest day of the year we were still in daylight at 1130pm.

Back to the hotel and more beer for the room as a DJ comes on at 1230am we go up thinking it is not going to be too hot, but this guy kicks ass! by 0130 he has people leaping about and is into Darude Sandstorm etc the light jock for this was amazing too loads and loads of dry ice, smoke etc . Finishes at 0200am fine we thinks.............. then the fireworks start till 0230!

We eventually go to sleep about 3 well worse for wear having sung danced and drunk our anniversary out!

We wake at 0730am to an amazing sight! Hear whistling outside and there is one French cleaner picking up last few pieces of litter ......................but the staging, gantries, lorries, and all the mess................ every single bit was gone in 4 hours.......... magical!

Hypermarket and the ferry home..............can't wait til next year!

Sorry it was long but you did ask!!!

Well, being a wedding reception and not being abvle to set up earlier in the day, I arrived well in time to set up for a 7.30 start. Seek out the banqueting manager of the hotel who advises me that 'they were nearly an hour late and have just started on their main course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

I then leg it to the the local village hall, park the van and read my weeks accumulation of mail, confirmation bookings etc. After a while decide to go back.

The speeches have started so I lug my gear into the foyer and just after I arrive, the dj for the function upstairs arrives. Have a chat with him, nice chap, and wish each other the best for the evening. Later turns out his function falls flat on it's face after the groom and the brides father get fighting on the dance floor !

Eventually I get in after they have moved all of the tables and chair and play the first hour and half uup to the buffett for the kids and youngsters ther, but notice that the crowd even with the evening guests is bordering on the 50+ mark, and living in rural Norfolk, it certainly looks like they are all related.

Having spoken to the bride and groom earlier in the evening, I was booked through an agent, they said that they didn't like slowies and didn't have a particular dance. With Plan A kicked into touch, it was into Plan B. Straight after the buffet, god knows how they could have eaten anythin as they had just had a 3 course meal with enough wine/champagne to fill an Olympic size swimming pool, I started with a few tracks to get them up.

Through the forum, I've picked up the usage of request slips and I had received a couple and put on Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations.

It was like a magnet to the dance floor. The floor was full from then till the end of the evening. Advised by the hotel to finish at 12 and geared up for a couple of slowies to end the evening, but would finish with a couple of faster tracks if I could squeeze them in without the hassle from the hotel. So long as the bar was shut, I didn't think they would mind, especially as it was probably cost £40 a head for the reception.

Finished at about 12.10 with The Mavericks, Here Comes My Baby, a great cover of the Tremeloes classic and one for the older generation, try to get a copy if you haven't it will be worth it's weight in gold at the right party and Dire Straits, Walk of Life having made sure I reiterated that they were the last tracks of the eveing.

As Dire Straits finished, the crowd applauded and the earlier hassle of having wasted a couple of hours hanging around was forgotten.

The icing on the cake - a £15 tip !!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

Have a chat with him, nice chap, and wish each other the best for the evening. Later turns out his function falls flat on it's face after the groom and the brides father get fighting on the dance floor !

Certainly makes a change from 2 D.J's turning up for the same function and scrapping on the car park http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I had a really good day at a communion i did, the kids were brill and even the adults played there part.

At the end got some 'thanks mate, that was brill', and then the manager of the place came upto me and said 'that's the first time we've had a party here and i could hear myself talk, that was really good'. He could some of my cards so who knows what will happen.

Saturday night was a 13th Birthday in a very mingy hall. Very old building with springy flooring, no washbasins in the loo's smelt BAD! To top if off no decorations!!! The kids were great, very wide spread of muisc from Metal to Busted. The smoke machine made up for no decorations! Request slips really work! As I wouldn't have automatically played some of the stuff they wanted!

jeez, it wasn't just the longest day, it was the longest weekend of the year for me!

Thursday afternoon some friends arrived to stay at my house for a couple of days, before they flew back to Australia. No sooner had they arrived then had to load my gear to shoot over to Essex to do a wedding at Leez Priory.

Just managed to get onto the M25 then ran into a massive bumper to bumper jam, eventually got through that and was just about making the time up when I ran into a completely non-moving line of traffic on the A120 about 10 miles from the venue. 30 minutes later I'd managed to travel all of about 500 yards. I'd called the venue and asked them to inform the B&G that I wasn't far away but was stuck in a major jam, but had no idea what was causing it. 20 minutes later still had hardly moved, so called the venue again and asked if there was any other routes to the venue. Was given directions so turned around and 10 minutes later was in another non-moving line of traffic. i then found out from someone that the A120 had been closed http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

I was supposed to start at 5.30, eventually arrived at 6.45, but luckily the B&G were cool and not at all upset; many of their guests were stuck in the same jams! The gig eventually went extremely well.

Then Friday night I did a wedding @ the Watford Hilton for a dj, with a further 9 dj's at the reception! No matter what I did i knew that I was gonna get slagged http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

The groom, who's been a dj for about 15 years had asked me to not play any cheese as he was fed up hearing it all the time. Problem was that his guests obviously weren't fed up of it! I started off playing some 70's, Mambo #5 & Mavericks type stuff and had the dancefloor packed but when moved into some soul & house numbers the dancefloor seemed to get bigger & bigger, i.e. with less & less people on it. Eventually I had to say to the groom that I'm gonna have to play a bit of Edam m8, but he was cool with it and told me to play anything that would get em moving. From there on in had the floor packed for the rest of the night. Even though the best man (who is also a dj) kept sending his girlfriend to ask for tunes which just weren't gonna fit in. Couldn't see the point in it myself; I mean why try and ruin your best friends wedding? Anyway, I basically ignored her/his requests.

Eventually got home at 4am, then had to get up at 7.30 to run my mates to the airport. Got home just in time to load my gear to do a summer fete in Hampstead starting at 11am. The fete went superbly and I just managed to pack the gear away in time to get to Stanmore for a surprise 40th birthday in a marquee in the back garden of a house. Obviously it was imperative that I arrived on time, as the bloke was due to arrive home at 7.30pm from a 3 day fishing trip. The party was a roaring success and I eventually got home at 5am.

Sunday, and I'd foolishly arranged to meet friends for a drink. So today, Monday, I've done sod-all, although I'm supposed to be playing footie later!

Thank christ I don't have to work during the day http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Took 2 cases of cds,drove to a club 10 minutes from my house,played from 11 until 2.30 to 500 drunken maniacs and was home by 3,did the same on saturday,sometimes its so great to club instead of mobile.Another good thing is at this time of the year its 24 hr daylight here so its no stumbling around in the dark! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

TGIF

21st Birthday - lots of flesh and then some.

Saturday - had to watch Most Haunted........my mate was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So took the night off and gave my job to the underdog!

Sunday - I was entertained!!!!!

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Saturday - had to watch Most Haunted........my mate was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey a fellow M.H Fan http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Damn... I tried to get invited from their forum, but I guess I'm not spooky enough http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Worked Saturday so Had to settle for the video playback Sunday Morning http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Derek Acorah - too me, he is the man. I hope I look that good when I'm his age! (I'd like the dosh too!)

I was recording the audio from the Webcams onto Minidisc direct from the PC (Optical) and picked up the singing as pointed out by the guest from 'Psychic School'.

What's this got to do with gigging you may ask?

Well, I just can't leave alone audio!!!!!

All last week I was effing and blinding at the monitor because of audio!!!!!!

What a gig!