Dj's United

Wedding Music

just has a phone call from a bride who booked me for a wedding a while ago , now at the time of the booking just said normal kinda wedding stuff !!! but she would contact me again about first dance stuff

fine no probs there until the phone call !!! i'm now paranoid about what i'm gonna play for 5 hours

first no dance music !!! no big problem there just stick to cheese , 60's ,70's & 80 and light chart pop like girls aloud and the likes !!!

and then the killer which will have me paranoid all night !!!

no songs that might offend anyone ??? especially her dad !!! apperantally he had be at a wedding recently where the dj played mousse t horny and this had upset him !!! also mentioned was living next door to alice as people might sing bad words

so summery no songs with bad language or songs that might be adapted to bad language by the guests or nothing with sexual implications

even party favorites like the timewarp i'm wondering if the pelvic thrust might be a bit to much for him or grease lightning being that its a real pussy wagon ???

so suggestions please for songs to avoid p*****g of dad

raining men she gets absolutelly soaking wet ???

YMCA hanging out with all the boys lol

I would get back in touch with her and explain that unfortunately you cannot second guess what her dad might find offensive and suggest that she gives a list of tracks that she doesn't want you to play.

Also explain that you will of course avoid any track with *explicit* lyrics and only play the versions that are generally heard on the radio.

I'm sure she is only worried about swearing etc.

Jim

There are a few songs which will have to be avoided but I don't think it will be as big a problem as you initially think:

As already stated Alice & Horny but also add Sex on the Beach, Diirty, Sexy Back and a few of the Hip-Hop songs, Rockstar ...

Should still be 'eazy' enough to find 5 hours of suitable music :joe:

Should still be 'eazy' enough to find 5 hours of suitable music :joe:

love the pun lol yeah im sure ill get through just thought it might get people thinking about songs they play regularly that might be taken the wrong way where lyrics have maybe more than one meaning

lets face it they are hidden everywhere in songs and of course some not hidden at all

I think that proceeding with caution would be a good idea - on top pf what you've already done - eg: Preparation.

Telling her that you cant be expected to know what might or might not upset her father, whilst totally true, isnt going to accomplish anything postive - it'll probably raise her stress levels everytime she thinks of the evening part of the wedding (even though I've no reason to believe that she'd have anything to worry about in you). ...and if she tells her father, then he's gonna be gunning for you, even before you set foot on the venues gravel driveway...

So...if you've got some paperwork still to go out to her (possibly even a pre-emptive "Congratulations / good luck card" why not add a note along the lines of:

Dear Samantha (if she's called Samantha, of course)...(or Miss Edwards...if your previous saluations have been that "formal")

Further to our telephone conversation on the 1xth of June, I would like to take this opportunity to confirm my understanding of your additional requirements mentioned therein.

I am grateful to you for bringing to my attention the possibilty of your Father, Mr Edwards becoming upset, or offended if certain songs are played. Clearly, as an entertainer who takes pride in being able to offer a quality service to all attendees, I am keen to avoid any such occurances at your function.

To this end, since your telephone call I have compiled a list of songs which I feel would be best avoided, based on their titles, or in some more difficult to establish cases, their lyrical content. As I'm sure you will be able to appreciate, whilst recalling a song title is easily done, recalling the lyrics of many songs and assessing how anyone may react to them, means that my compiled list of "Do not play" songs cannot in any way be exhaustive, or complete. I do feel however that I have done all that is possible in order to minimise any unpleasentness on the day with regard to your expressed concerns.

Yours.... (again, sign off however you've been doing so in previous correspondence )

----------

Dig out all those Radio edits, and get ready to kill the midrange eq during choice words in "Greased lightning" etc... also, have some valium ready for when the 8 year old page boy comes up and requests Eamon...ye gads...

The key to any function is to play wht the client wants, not what the DFJ wants. It's a difficult barrier to overcome, but there are some functions where the client will lay down their expectation well before hand. In this case you simply need to play it safe.

I have a rule that I only work the function if I want to 100%. eg I don't do 18th birthday parties because I am not into the club scene music.

I've done a few weddings where there is no first dance. It doesn't stop you playing a couple of slowies early on. In that case invite everyone onto the florr not just the B&G

Good luck.

Edited by Norfolk DJ

The key to any function is to play wht the client wants, not what the DFJ wants. Good luck.

Whats a DFJ? :D

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Why not ask the client to tell you exactly what they want - so you can GUARANTEE every song is great.

I have compiled a list of songs which I feel would be best avoided, based on their titles, or in some more difficult to establish cases, their lyrical content.

You are kidding aren't you?

How can you possibly compile a list of songs you won't play?

Have a look at the artist album charts at how many have advisory messages on the front. I would just point out that I only use "radio edits" of any tracks and avoid any with distasteful lyrics.

Jim

I would just use a bit of common sense.

As Jim says stick with radio edits but having said that if I was playing to a load of 18 year olds I still wouldnt play anything explicit so really no different.

As long as you have their "must play" songs cant see it being an issue.

Is Sexyback rude? Can't say I've ever listened to the lyrics in all the times I've played it lol

You are kidding aren't you?

How can you possibly compile a list of songs you won't play?

Have a look at the artist album charts at how many have advisory messages on the front. I would just point out that I only use "radio edits" of any tracks and avoid any with distasteful lyrics.

Jim

Kidding? No.

Using the mentioned track "Horny" as a starter, it gives a certain clue as to what upset the hirers father.

This thread, indeed has come up with ideas as to other tracks which might offend - admittedly some suggestions were a little tongue-in-cheek, but a simple list of maybe 30 or so tracks which contain profanity, swearing, sexual innuendos (don't they make Games Consoles?) and avoiding playing anything on that list on the night would at least show the hirer that we are taking her seriously - the rest of the wording is basically saying "but if we play something which isnt on the list of 30 or so tracks, and it offends, we did at least reduce the likelihood of offending (someone who sounds quite easily offended).

The other option would be to include a set of ear-plugs in with the letter, as a "PLAN B" solution. :lol:

Edited by Gary

Even Plan - C

Find the gentleman, then whisper in his lug hole ............

YOU'RE BARRED :bouncy:

Jim

Holy :cense: how the :cense: can they expect you to :cense: go the whole night without playing the wrong :cense: song

Who the :cense: does the father think he is, grt the :cense: bride to do a :cense: list of songs not to :cense: play

:bouncy:

On the night take requests from the guests if you notice one is slighty p.c play it & announce its for Uncle Bill or who ever......redirecting the blame :ads:

Had a similar experience last yr. in fact I wrote a post bout it on ere. Sent the couple my usual wedding / generic party type songs nothing too extreeme, nothing more than words !!! :hide:

Had an email back saying some of the songs werent appropriate because of political reasons??!!!

The only one I could think of was chumbwumba. ???? :aa

To begin with I found their list quite restricting but then relised that it was eaiser in fact to just play songs off the list without thinking too much !! did feel like a human i-pod tho. - (I'm not bitter about it now) hmmmm.

:rant:

Try and get them to give you a list of the tunes they want , its harder sometimes with a list that they dont want cause they may pick certain songs not to play but actually mean that type / style of music. ie on the above occassion I played Rhianna - umbrella for the kids b4 the night started and was told promptly by the cheif bridesmaid :protest: NOT to play any RNB / GANGSTA tunes. ?????????

Find and then play Black Lace ' we're having a gang bang' :dan+ju:

Good luck

Why not ask the client to tell you exactly what they want - so you can GUARANTEE every song is great.

I love how the use of the word GUARANTEE is used and bandied about in the Business world.

What does GUARANTEE mean though? To me the word Guarantee used to mean if your not happy with the service we have guaranteed we will re-imburse you or provide you with some form of compensation..

guar·an·tee

–noun

1. a promise or assurance, esp. one in writing, that something is of specified quality, content, benefit, etc., or that it will perform satisfactorily for a given length of time: a money-back guarantee.

2. guaranty (defs. 1, 2).

3. something that assures a particular outcome or condition: Wealth is no guarantee of happiness.

4. a person who gives a guarantee or guaranty; guarantor.

5. a person to whom a guarantee is made.

–verb (used with object)

6. to secure, as by giving or taking security.

7. to make oneself answerable for (something) on behalf of someone else who is primarily responsible: to guarantee the fulfillment of a contract.

8. to undertake to ensure for another, as rights or possessions.

9. to serve as a warrant or guaranty for.

10. to engage to protect or indemnify: to guarantee a person against loss.

11. to engage (to do something).

12. to promise (usually fol. by a clause as object): I guarantee that I'll be there.

12. to assume responsibility for the quality or performance of

I find point 12 the most interesting from this you are assuming responcibility that the playlist you have no say in will be in your words great, how can you do this before even knowing what the playlist is?

Also with the recent change in law is this not miss direction..

How does a fixed play list Guarantee everysong is great?

Nik

I love how the use of the word GUARANTEE is used and bandied about in the Business world.

What does GUARANTEE mean though? To me the word Guarantee used to mean if your not happy with the service we have guaranteed we will re-imburse you or provide you with some form of compensation..

guar·an·tee

–noun

1. a promise or assurance, esp. one in writing, that something is of specified quality, content, benefit, etc., or that it will perform satisfactorily for a given length of time: a money-back guarantee.

2. guaranty (defs. 1, 2).

3. something that assures a particular outcome or condition: Wealth is no guarantee of happiness.

4. a person who gives a guarantee or guaranty; guarantor.

5. a person to whom a guarantee is made.

–verb (used with object)

6. to secure, as by giving or taking security.

7. to make oneself answerable for (something) on behalf of someone else who is primarily responsible: to guarantee the fulfillment of a contract.

8. to undertake to ensure for another, as rights or possessions.

9. to serve as a warrant or guaranty for.

10. to engage to protect or indemnify: to guarantee a person against loss.

11. to engage (to do something).

12. to promise (usually fol. by a clause as object): I guarantee that I'll be there.

12. to assume responsibility for the quality or performance of

I find point 12 the most interesting from this you are assuming responcibility that the playlist you have no say in will be in your words great, how can you do this before even knowing what the playlist is?

Also with the recent change in law is this not miss direction..

How does a fixed play list Guarantee everysong is great?

Nik

I'm hiring Nik as my personal theosaurus