Dj's United

The Finish

alright you lot

I`ve been at it a couple of yrs with my master dj with whom i did my apprenticeship and we always do a big finish...........cos they only remember the last bit right.

we do a slowie ,angels,move closer.o barry white then shut down and get em in a big circle and give em the monkees cheer up sleepy jean.usualy gey a hard time gettin some up,but witha radio mark and the rest pointing we get em up.

A good night is had by all

now I was talkin to the guy I get most of my gigs from and he said `the big circle is out of date now we need to do somethin else like a big tune at the end

I tried a big tune at the end,got most of up then we finished ...........not 1 came across to say thanks m8 good night.which is what I normally get.I was well ppppdddd off I was ROBBED of my GLORY

any opinions ?

Personally I ask the client what they want and what song they would like to finish the evening - I do make suggestions if necessary but the final choice is theirs.

Personally I ask the client what they want and what song they would like to finish the evening - I do make suggestions if necessary but the final choice is theirs.

good answer but being as tho we do it and know what works as we do it every weekend.Shouldnt we give them a tried and tested finale.How many do`s do most people go to? .Do they request there fav tracks not knowing that they are going to kill the dancefloor cos they like to listen to it ib the car?I know what u mean they are the client ,but doin what they want can ruin a good night we`re only here to help them ave a good time.we cant force them...............well maybe a little hee hee

but back on track any more ideas to a finale other thaan the old circle?

Why not have a circle followed by something else? I did that last Saturday.

"New York New York" is certainly not obligatory for a circle. "All You Need Is Love" has worked well for me at some weddings.

Depends on the crowd/mood/B&G.

i would always play harry belafonte-banana boat song classic cut 18 track two, "New York New York"was the other regular choice, for weddings when the bride and groom leave make a human path and arch way and play we go together from greese that way all get to say good bye :shrug: think it depends on your clients state off mind :dan: which way you finish .

I have a handful of ways I finish the night, including the circle, but one thing I do is ensure that as much as possible is done off-mic so it appears and feels a lot more natural. There are ways to achieve this with a bit of forward planning and preparation.

I've been ending wedding evenings with NY NY a fair bit recently, but have become aware of some groans from the audience when it starts, despite still getting a good reaction.

I'm wondering if this track really has been played to death at weddings, and it's time to look for something different?

Hi Richard, I usually finish a wedding with either a circle or arch but would be interested in any other suggestions. A few times, at the brides request, I have played the first dance again.

The clients always get to choose the last song with me NYNY is by far the most popular though.

An interesting finale on Saturday was the B&G wanted NYNY then all the lights up and then play Pavarotti's Nesun Dorma, it went down a treat :Thumbup:

Jim

I did a christening yesterday and played never forget by Take That .

The gig was booked to 7.00pm ...everyone was up dancing and hugging to the last song , i had announced this was the last song and had a count down for the three previous karaoke songs ..this is the last karaoke etc the Take That track was 30 seconds from finishing and 20 seconds past 7pm from finishing and the management of the function room saw fit to turn up all the lights and spoil the very end... all for 50 seconds!!

The guests were not that fussed and i was booked again for another family do... but come on 20 seconds past 7 with 30 seconds of the track left!

I know a time is a time and i do try my best to finish on time but the management wanted obviously to stop just before 7.00 pm (have you noticed how many pub/function room clocks are ten mins fast by the way this ones was dead on time)which would have meant the guests would have asked for another song etc .. the other side of the bar was open still to the normal working mens club room so it wasn't a staff issue ...it was dead the other side) it was just pedantic management ..as i say the guests were not bothered but i wanted to finish properly ....song... end... then lights up

It was a good choice of song to finish a christening IMHO

Edited by enquirer
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

If they are really in a party mood...and mainly younger types... I have gone for Darude sandstorm.

Not your obvious choice for a wedding.... but the times I have had the bottle to use it it's gone down a storm ( pun intended)

I like a track that finishes with a bang... rather than fades out. ( NYNY is good for this)

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

I generally finish a function with my edited version of Runrig Loch Lomond (one verse, one chorus, 4 bars of drums then fast bit) or if I'm doing a pub sometimes it will be Abba Thank You for the Music. On the question of turning the lights on, I actively turn the lights on when the fast section of Runrig starts. This works well as it gives the audience a clue that the night is definitely over and keeps venue managers happy and avoids the 'accidental' switching on before you're finished.