Dj's United

Average Charge For 2008

Wedding function, 5 hours (1900-0000) disco, 10 miles away from your home  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In addition to the poll I posted for the average charge for 2007, I thought it may be interesting to see if people are charging more and why for next year....

In 2007 I charged an average of £225, in 2008 so far my average charge is around £265ish......

Why have I charged more? Well I put the price up by £25 just as a yearly price rise, but I think I am now worth more - I have about 40-50 gigs more experience than last year, I do things for the children if required, I organise everything the B&G want on the evening, I am going to try and do ceremony music etc but that is not included in this poll, it is just about providing disco entertainment for 5 hours, 10 miles from your home.

So I believe my worth is more - Others may not, thinking that I am just doing my job and should like it...

What about you? How much and why? What makes you better than anyone else?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agents only get away with if DJs are prepared to do it for that

Most who work for agents are part time djs. £190 on top of their weekly wage from their full time job isn`t a bad bonus.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Voted for £200-250.

Difficult to get above that here.

You know I disagree with that one - I've been quoting and getting £300+, just a shame I can't do them now..

For everyone else, why did you put the price up? What is the difference between this year and last?

Edited by Tonsk
For everyone else, why did you put the price up? What is the difference between this year and last?

Three reasons for me

• Inflation
  • Demand
  • Added Value

I'm charging an average of around £140 to £170 around the Worcester/Cheltenham area. Could go a bit higher but the diary is full so I'm not complaining. Had a few wedding receptions in the cotswolds and banged in a price of £500+. They pay it and I spend it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Three reasons for me

• Inflation
  • Demand
  • Added Value

I think your middle bullet point is the key - Our key business tools is us - Anyone can go and buy the equipment and become a DJ, so we can't sell ourselves on kit... Its the demand - There is only one of us after all, so ever day is a premium....

Although I would be interested to know what your "added value" is Paul - I know we all have some (or we should) so what's yours?

Although Mcsleepez, if your diary is full at the price you charge, why don't you put your price up a little and work less for the same amount?

Edited by Tonsk

with scandinavian prices i put mine up to the £700 bracket which is expensive even for here but i have bookings at that price for next year.

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

• 2 months later...

I'm maybe looking into the £151-£200 range but will have to do a bit more research first, Every DJ I speak to around here charges around £120 so I dont want to outprice myself.

If you chase the same market as every other DJ you will have to charge the same or less to compete. Perhaps put your prices up and go more upmarket where there is less competition?

Edited by TonyB

I've gone for £400+.

I'm charging an average of around £140 to £170 around the Worcester/Cheltenham area. Could go a bit higher but the diary is full so I'm not complaining. Had a few wedding receptions in the cotswolds and banged in a price of £500+. They pay it and I spend it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you expect them to refuse that?

I have done several functions where I deliberately overpriced as I didn't really want to work the area or the times, only to have the quote accepted at once! :wall:

Oh well, seemed a good idea at the time. I hate to just turn down work. tongue out icon

Can't comment really,

As next year ill be in Greece,

But theres no option for euros :shrug: :hurt:

OK.

Go here http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Then you can vote. :D

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

people who go out for less in my opinon are odviously not paying tax and insurance and are what as classed as bedroom djs with hobbies. thats why this job is saturated.

regards

john

Post of the month?

people who go out for less in my opinon are odviously not paying tax and insurance and are what as classed as bedroom djs with hobbies. thats why this job is saturated.

regards

john

Less than what? £100 or £1000 ?

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

When I first started properly going round I was charging £50 for 4 hours!!! But now ive got 4 years under my belt and a lot more gear, a lot more experience I know how to keep a dancefloor filled. But still years of learning left. Next year can get me a set of wheels and go everywhere! Now I charge about £150 - £250 depending on the function and thats lancashire in the north west.

Ste

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

The reason?

It's because that's what he charges...

He either has low overheads, does loads of gigs to compensate for the low price, makes a loss or has some other reason to keep the prices highly affordable.