Dj's United

Wedding Charges

.......Richard..... sorry to keep disagreeing with you (but it is a discussion forum!).... You say that the jobs you do, have better dressed, more polite, less aggressive when drunk?! I think these books may have brain washed you somewhat... they arent written by some cult leader are they! A drunk is a drunk is a drunk! No matter what the client spends on the service of a dj.... if the drunk is predisposed to be aggressive when fuelled with alcohol... they are aggressive full stop - no matter what their host spent on a dj! Maybe you have been lucky - or the client spent so much on the dj they couldnt afford the free bar to get all their guests drunk in the first place! Here is the uk, you dont have to earn mega-bucks to be able to dress in designer clothes either!

What you have now got across is that you work for rich people and aim your market demographic towards a high socio-economic group. Good for you. How much did it actually cost you in order to gain these clients?

Without doubt, the best marketing tool ever is your customers. Without doubt, if they have a budget you will never get them to pay 4 x times more than they can afford. Without doubt, if you drop your fee by 50% the only marketing strategy that you have is "supply and demand".

Do you immediately quote your fee - or do you ask your clients for their budget before hand?

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kazzachi, I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all as it challenges me to stay focussed.

Like I said earlier, most of my competitors don't agree that 'just' a DJ is worth what I charge. My clientele see the value and pay the money most weekends during the busy season, so I don't let their negativity bring be back to where I was 5 years ago and where they still are.

People started responding to me differently as soon as I started wearing formal attire when playing weddings. Every DJ I know has had some drunk guy stumble up and slur "This is s#1t, play some decent music". The honest truth is that I haven't heard that old line since dressing in a tuxedo. People don't tend to get as drunk and they just seem to behave better when they are in nice surroundings and you are dressed spectacularly. You can ask a behavioural Psychologist why that is, because I sure don't know!

I don't aim for the exceedingly wealthy, in fact most of my weddings are the upper end of the average socio-economic scale, but they are people who appreciate that their wedding is a true celebration and they really want to trust the professionals they hire. Trust is the key word there. You asked how much it cost to get those clients. The answer is about the same (or less) than most of my competitors are spending on their advertising and marketing. The marketing I do now is carefully aimed at my target events. As Hugmaster said, "I'd sooner get ten visitors and 4 book than fifty visitors and only 2 book." That book I mentioned earlier has helped me understand why I used to only get calls from budget-conscious clients and it's let me steer the right type of client to me. If you don't believe it could help you, then don't read it, but what have you got to lose if you do read it?

Please relax about my winter special- it's just a tester to see what weddings are out there during the quiet months. I've got the exact same reservations as you about it eroding my premium months. If you don't try new things, you'll never learn, right?

You said:

if they have a budget you will never get them to pay 4 x times more than they can afford

This isn't true of all clients. The Brides and Grooms for whom price is the most important aspect of the DJ's service were never my client in the first place. I'm simply not interested in their wedding as they simply want a decent, average DJ rather than the best they can get that suits their style and dreams. I'm happy to steer them on to my cheaper competition so I can concentrate on my true target clientele.

You asked:

Do you immediately quote your fee - or do you ask your clients for their budget before hand?

I never quote a fee first. I don't even talk about my service until I've first asked them several questions so I understand what their dream wedding reception 'feels' like. I certainly never ask what their budget is as it's none of my business. If their reception is at a reasonable venue, they have a quality caterer, a good photographer and they are passionate about the night, then I'm probably going to be a great choice for them regardless of price within reason.

I believe that not everyone can get away with promoting themselves as a premium service provider. I'm fortunate that with a little help from other sources, I have improved my service and brought the average standard (and price) up in my country.

QUOTE (Rendezvous @ Apr 2 2004, 08:49 AM)
if you're genuinely interested in what I've done to increase my rates, flick me an email and I'll send you what I sent to a colleague in Auckland

Was the information I emailed of use to those of you who asked for it? I'm always keen for feedback.

I could tell you about a few multi-millionaires parties I have done (using my mobile night club) - where wearing a tux (considered very cheesey here unless it is black tie do anyway) would have meant nothing to the clientele. Manners maketh man - not money! In fact, I have found that celebrity/abc1 parties often have the rudest, arrogant people I have ever come across (not in all cases). Anybody who reckons that because they wear a tux makes a difference as to their dj-ing skills is sadly misinformed. Its the attitude and professionalism to which you deal with your customer that is important - and how well you perform on the night/day. Any client hiring my lighting rig with sound and DJ will be spending a minimum of £1500 - I get the price because the rig is huge and impressive and warrants that kind of fee. Just because they have spent the big bucks on a big system doesnt mean that they warrant any more or less of a service from me against those who have spent £250 for a small rig or £150/£200 for a two hour kids party. - Again, I ask, why do you have to test the water by halving your fee? Surely if you are as successful as you say, you dont have to do it!

I would be interested in hearing how you get clients, who have a budget, to pay so much more more than they are able to afford! If I can get to grips with that, then perhaps I could buy a house that I really want to live in, rather than the one that is in my budget... oh, and a ferrari as well! People can and will only pay what they can afford. I would have liked UB40 to come and do a set at my wedding.. but as I couldnt afford them, no matter how much I wanted them, I had to go with a cheaper option.

Instead of using e-mail to relay your secrets, why not publish them on the open forum!

..I have been a professional DJ for some thirteen years now richard, have achieved a very high standard of living, work on average 5 times per week, am not the cheapest dj in town - neither the most expensive - and dont have to advertise to get work. I work with all socio-economic groups... who incidentally, pay my fee whether they live in a mansion or a council house. AND.... I dont ever knock a whopping 50% off my fee!. You dont have "women" issues do you! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

Oh... and before going into full time dj-ing I worked in marketing for some FMCG companies!

Edited by kazzachi

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just because something is low-cost, doesn't mean it's low quality. Some people may not want a DJ with expensive props to make the rig "look nice". Some people will just want good music and good lights. It's the emphasis on the "no-frills" bit that people now want.

Hmmm you can't really compare a budget airline with a Mobile Disco, and judging by the number of complaints from passengers let down by them - as shown by the documentary series on the TV, then I wouldn't want to be them either!.

Like any business, you need a business plan and to work out your expenses on paper to make sure that you are viable as a business in the first place. Lets take the average yearly expenses of the Mobile D.J:-

Motor Insurance - Anything between £300 - £2000 a year in this game

PLI Insurance:- Lets take the median of £140

Equipment Insurance:- £80

PAT Testing:- Average for a fairly large show:- £80

Then take the ongoing other business expenses:-

CD's - £?

Advertising - £?

Vehicle Fuel & Maintainance - £?

Stationary:- £?

Telephone / Mobile:- £?

Equipment Maintainance and Consumables - £?

Stage Clothing: - £?

Sundry's:- £?

Even bear in mind any other little expenses which could mount up over the year, such as drinks over the bar during the function, Stamps for your confirmations, any parking charges / tolls.

Charging £60 for a disco on the surface looks like nice profit, however when you take into account the expenses above (and fill in the blanks), it suddenly looks less viable.

Of course, once the Inland Revenue have had their share, and you've paid any NI contributions, then you may as well have stayed at home.

The trick is, to find a happy medium. To run a business which makes profit (eventually) and pays its way, whilst charging the maximum that you can comfortably get away with in your area and for your expertise - without jeopordising the level of income to pay your everyday business expenses AND make the profit level that you desired.

In some area's this may be £500 a gig, in others it may be £80. However that business model becomes less workable and realistic, the lower you go, however the cost of living for that particular area will also have to be taken into account.

Individual circumstance also come into play. You may be a Student living at home with parents, and only need to find £30 or £40 a week to bung to your parents. You may run a disco alongside other self or full time employment, or you may run the disco as your sole income and have a mortgage and 4 kids to support http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif . I would seriously doubt that £60 a disco would pay business expenses, mortgage, and raise a family - unless you were working flat out 7 nights a week, and even then after expenses you would be pushing your luck.

I realised a long time ago, that I couldn't run the Disco as my sole income, not in this area. Re-assuringly I know of no other self employed D.J's in this immediate area either who do - they either have other forms of income as well, or are still in education. This means that we are either all wrong, or we have yet to discover the secret http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif . Needless to say, I would love to be the first one to discover it http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif .

I think this is rapidly becoming a

" I do it this way so I must be right & every one else must be wrong" thread.

Why can't we accept tha we all work differantly and charge differant rates

if it works for you & are happy with the amount of money earnt, good for you.

But lets not knock others who do things differantly

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

Very true Ian, if we all did things exactly the same way it'd be a little boring to say the least!

For my own part I found myself agreeing with much of what Rendezvous/Richard wrote and I have extremely similar marketing strategies, although I haven't read any of the books mentioned. I charge a much higher fee than many other DJ's, and have no interest whatsoever in the type of client that does not recognise the value or importance of an experienced, good dj. My website makes it very clear to prospective clients that if price is there main issue then they would be better looking elsewhere, and it works for me as I NEVER get people trying to haggle about my fee.

I don't believe that Richard was saying that wearing a tux makes any difference whatsoever to his DJ'ing skills, it does however make a difference to how your perceived by many in the audience. On the whole you get less flack from an audience when you are dressed with a little panache. It's not simply about wearing a tux; 2 guys can wear the same tux and one will look completely out of place and the other will look very impressive. Hair, shoes, how you carry yourself etc all add up to how you are perceived by your audience.

On my booking forms I give clients the choice of what attire they would prefer me to wear. The choices are: Black Tie, Smart/Casual or Casual. For weddings around 66% choose Black Tie.

I think that the biggest difference between how Richard & I work is that living in London I have a much more vibrant market available to me with no real off-season as far as gigs are concerned and thus no need to offer any discounts at any time of the year.

As far as I'm concerned, vive le difference when it comes to DJ'ing. We can each market and benefit from our own individual strenghts, and long may we continue to do so http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Mind you - I think I would look pretty silly wearing a tux! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

Ian.. its not a right or wrong discussion..... Im genuinely interested in the marketing strategy..... but If I am going to put my prices up from £250 to £450 in one fell swoop, I want to get to grips with the marketing strategy first. I dont believe I am any less of a dj than anyone on here - but will need to fully grasp the strategy, hence the questions... to which the answers will be useful!

Considering that ALL my bookings come via referral/recommendation, what should I be saying to my clients - and answering them in relation to the service that I supply? Any one of us can "Talk" a good disco... saying how much music we have, what quality sound and light etc, how good we are at reading a crowd. In other words, if I am equally as well dressed, have worked at the same prestigeous venues, never had the need to honour my money back guarantee to any client, how can I sell my service (without putting down any other dj.. which I believe is a negative selling tool)?

Nobody has said that they are right or wrong... Im just fully exploring the negatives along with the positives (which anybody marketing any product/service would do)... Knowledge is power! And for me to gain the knowledge I need to ask the questions from every angle!

Kazz,

why not creep your prices up slowly, as new enquies come in, add the odd £50.00.

As Richard said It is far easier when dealing directly with the client then through a 3rd party such as hotels agents etc.

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

I dont work for agents and deal with all my clients directly (apart from the hotel who refer me to the client).

I cant stand working via a third party... its the only time when mis-information is ever given.... I insist on dealing with clients directly so that they are 100% about what they are getting, and I am 100% about what they want.

I am however, waiting for a "victim" to experiment on! The next non-resident hotel client who contact me for a wedding is gonna get a swift £100 increase tried on them.. I fully agree that wedding djs are underpaid... £350 average for a cake... and Im still only charging £250.... which has been my charge for years.... time to get paid what I deserve me thinks!

My main selling points are gonna be:

I only work via recommendation/referral

In 13 years I have never let anyone down

I have a huge music collection

I offer a hard to find track service

I am punctual as well as reliable

I offer a unique money back guarantee

I dress appropriately

I will tailor the event to the clients wishes

I provide a high class sound and light system

I am enthusiastic, professional and available to offer and help or advice

hmmmm... come to think of it, I get the above across in talking to my clients anyway! Im gonna give it a go.... anyone think I should add anything else (by the way, the above are not in any particular order)

Edited by kazzachi

Hi

Chris, quote taken out of context, I was refering to your point about not being prepared to pay for Ebooks or books etc, not taking part in a discussion. If I didn't find it useful, do you think I'd spend time here? come on mate pen your eyes, lol no punn intended http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

It worked for me Karen, I went from £120 (£20 more than the 'average' disco around here) to £200 in one swoop, now most of MY discos, with me are £180 to £250, the 'average' DJ (And I don't mean I am better than the 'average' DJ) STILL around £100

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

QUOTE (Hugmaster @ Apr 5 2004, 07:12 PM)
Hi

Chris, quote taken out of context, I was refering to your point about not being prepared to pay for Ebooks or books etc, not taking part in a discussion. If I didn't find it useful, do you think I'd spend time here? come on mate pen your eyes, lol no punn intended http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Darren

Not sure if your software can pick up emoticons in posts, but they were in there, and the comment was actually made tongue in cheek.

Hi

Just as an added extra. I did a wedding last Saturday, so myself and my DJ partner decided to go for the full black tie to see if it did actually make any difference to how people perceive us.

Jesus, did it ever, we were treated with the utmost politeness and respect from the Weddng party and the utmost professionalism from the venue, never ever had that before. We were even praised by the Bride and her parents on the way we conducted ourselves, including our dress.

I charge more than the majority of DJ's in this area and so have to make a little extra effort to justify the higher price, those that complain about price when enquiring I dont' want to work for because they want the cheapest they can find.

Incidentally, Richard thanks the the Email, found it very useful, even though most of it I implement already, just nice to hear that I'm not acting on a wing and a prayer.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

I reckon that putting a suit on can increase your price by £25 alone.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

On a local level I actually find that the average wedding is just as likely to erupt as a Student Night at the local Karaoke. In fact i've witnessed middle aged guests who should know better, get into a punch up over the damndest of things http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif , as i've said previously, witness the explosive effect of alcohol meeting idiot, and this can apply to anywhere, there is some form of bar.

I always believe that the Dj should dress accordingly to the function - casual or formal. As far as the crowd go, then I really don't think you can say that just because they are in formal wear that there won't be any trouble. Unless of course its hired when they won't be rushing to stain that nice white shirt with blood http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif . At the end of the day, put a suit on a gorilla and all you have is a gorilla wearing a suit.

On the subject I find that office Christmas Parties are the least likely to explode into trouble. Maybe because they have to face their colleagues on Monday, or their boss is also present. However it is fun to watch the flirting http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/flirt.gif

Hi

Chris...my software handles some of them ok, but other are a little vague as to what they're trying to get across, so apologies if I thought you were having a go.

Darren

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Apr 6 2004, 03:46 AM)
Im genuinely interested in the marketing strategy..... but If I am going to put my prices up from £250 to £450 in one fell swoop, I want to get to grips with the marketing strategy first.  I dont believe I am any less of a dj than anyone on here - but will need to fully grasp the strategy, hence the questions... to which the answers will be useful!

Karen, I'm not here to try and change your mind, nor to help you in your business. That's your job, but many of the answers you seek are in that book I recommended earlier. I don't want to give a Reader's Digest condensed version when it's been already done so very well by Harry Beckwith. If you were truly interested in learning rather than just playing devil's advocate constantly, you'd consider taking the time to listen to good advice. Take a moment to read "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr Seuss too. He didn't know he liked green eggs until he actually tried them but he sure went to huge lengths to tell the world how much he disliked them until then. See any similarity?

As for the email advice, if you'd like to read it, feel free to let me know and I'll send it to you.

Im not entirely sure I understand what you are saying rich... Im not "playing devils advocate constantly"... just that if I am to implement any form of marketing strategy, Im sure you are aware, that you have to be able to handle any question with a valid answer to any prospective client.

My belief is that what you wear has nothing to do with how people react to you... it is down to how you present yourself.. yes, I dress well, and am polite and professional with my clients. However, I can also say that I have gone to the rescue of a bride and groom who have been let down for their wedding reception by a cowboy dj at the last minute.. they then phoned me to ask if I was available.. since I had just finished a kids party, my priority was to get to them asap... which (and I explained to them beforehand) meant that I turned up in my kids party uniform.. trackies, trainers and polo shirt, and my hair was very far from coiffed!! However, despite the far from appropriate apparel, i not only recieved two tips.. one of £50 from the delighted groom, but also one of £40 from the brides father,I also gained many bookings from the wedding because of what I did on the night!

Richard, you seem to be a little irritated with my constant questioning. I promise you I am not trying to bug you... But when selling any kind of product/service, you do need to have the right answers to all the possible questions that can and will be asked. I would be grateful to receive the e-mail - (luneytoones@btopenworld.com). I seriously believe I am under priced for the service which I offer, so in order for me to justify myself to my clients, I believe that my questions are justified.

Please remember that this forum is here to help people. We share our experiences and knowledge with each other for the benefit of the dj-ing community... which, like you, hopefully can only improve the quality of the service which we provide. I think I am far too soft where pricing is concerned... I know that what I offer is a first class service - and I command a greater fee where kids parties are concerned, than any other dj I know. If I am to sell the service which I offer and command a higher fee for the adult functions, then I just want to make sure that I have covered all my bases with regards to the justification of my fee. So in that respect, I am looking to you for the answers - I have the product, but just need to know how to sell it! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Just out of interest Kazzi Wazzi Wooo - what do you charge for events, or do I have put put on a dodgy southern accent and convince you that i'm old enough to get married http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Crispy.. you could never disguise that northern drawl! I usualy charge £250 taking out the bare minimum for a basic 4 hour wedding. Kids parties.. well, Ive just taken the leap from £150 for two hours to £200... and yes, Ive got the bookings! That said, if my clients want to extend hours on the adult functions, I then charge £50 per hour add on..... I have charged this amount for donkeys years so that is why I am asking so many questions on this thread.... I know I am l'Oreal... but being a southern softie, I just cant get £450 or £350 out me gob when it comes to quoting!

I think this is fast becoming one of the best thread in a long time.

I don't think it's been mentioned, or I've missed it somewhere, but Confidence On The Phone (COTP). When you get arounf to talking money, about 25 mins in to the call, if the figure you quote doesn't sound natual, the client will pick up on this and probably go away.

Practice saying a high figure to yourself, whilst looking in a mirror. Do it a couple of times a day for a week or two. Then try it on a potential client, if you stutter or it doesn't come out naturally, the client will think your hiking your prices.

If any say's to me Oh your expensive, I say No, I do this as a full time living, and I will take care of every detail for your event, etc etc etc.

Just keep reminding yourself COTP.

It does work and I'm not going to charge you $49 to tell you that.

Sorry, thats my only gripe with Mark Ferrall

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

£150 - £200 for a Kids party is Damn good money, mind you, i'd pay that to see you leap around in your lime green shell suit http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

But Seriously....

I felt guilty charging a client £90 recently for a 2 hour 12th Birthday, I did it purposely to try and persuade her not to book it. That idea backfired, when she agreed!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif.

Given that you are now charging £200 just for a Kids function. and still only £250 for others, then I hate to leap athletically on the bandwagon, but I would say that this alone would justify maybe even a slight increase for the adult ones. Yes, I know that kids functions are hard work, but it is generally tradition that adult functions pay far more money than childrens.

In other words - your clients are willing to pay the additional fee for your services for childrens parties, you could possibly assume that they would pay the same pro-rata for a 4 hour function.

Another question....when did you last raise your adult function prices?.

Thanks Mikeeee...... I am so confident at quoting £250 I never lose a booking..... In fact, even when I cant work for a client because I am already booked, I get so many comments from them thanking me for my helpfulness and advice... and it might be two years later, but they come back to me..... saying that I sounded like I knew what I was doing!