Dj's United

Wedding Charges

Kazz, thats why moneys doesn't go up as it should, I think it's called getting stuck in a rut.

Get your golden tonsils in to gear.

The other thing that hasn't been covered is: Less Is More

Less Kit = More Money - This works as well, very well in fact.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikeee.. I still love you - as I always have! Now, can you sort me out a job for saturday and you get the feedback from the client to make sure I am worth it!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Darling, I know your worth every penny you charge, even for the Extra's (lol)

QUOTE (mikeee @ Apr 5 2004, 11:46 PM)
The other thing that hasn't been covered is: Less Is More

Less Kit = More Money - This works as well, very well in fact.

Very true Mike. My show is pretty basic compared to the rig photo's I've seen on here, but then I've long since discovered that your average punter doesn't give a damn about how many lights you've got or how expensive they are or how fancy each effect is, most of the punters simply notice that there are some flashing lights and lots of colours and that's it http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Kazz; it's really not difficult to ask for more money, in fact it's very simple. If you truly believe you are worth more than what you charge (and this is the crux of the issue, YOU are the one who must believe, else you have no chance of convincing anyone else!) then when a potential client asks for a quotation, you must quote what you are worth, otherwise quite frankly you're a mug (meant in the nicest possible way http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif )

I have no qualms about quoting £400, £450, £500 etc. A recent booking I got in Devon (near Plymouth) I quoted £700 to cover my travel expenses + a hotel, on top of my fee for the wedding. The client accepted it and paid the advanced booking fee immediately.

To you and others this may come across as egotisitical and big-headed, to be honest I don't give a damn, cos I know I'm getting what I'm worth and the punters are paying for my vast experience. I can very honestly tell any punter that there are only a handful of DJ's who have done more than gigs than me (many have been DJ'ing far longer, but done less gigs), or have more varied experience including doing clubs & mobiles in countries all over the world, or have a more complete music collection and music knowledge than I have. All these things combined are why my clients don't hesitate to pay my fees.

None of this trumpet blowing is to impress anyone on here it's simply demonstrating how I sell myself to clients and I have over 100 references to back it all up.

If you can't sell yourself, it's unlikely that anyone else is gonna do it for you. So everyone HAS to think of the reasons why they are worth the fee they are quoting.

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Apr 6 2004, 10:57 AM)
Im not entirely sure I understand what you are saying rich... Im not "playing devils advocate constantly"... just that if I am to implement any form of marketing strategy, Im sure you are aware, that you have to be able to handle any question with a valid answer to any prospective client.

Fair enough, it just looked that way. Unfortunately intonation and attitude are impossible to perceive through written media, so I may have understood your position incorrectly. I'm sorry if I've misread you.

My belief is that what you wear has nothing to do with how people react to you

Do you truly believe that? What is your impression of these three men based on their clothing? Would you approach them differently? I know I would!

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/dress-up/acc/hawaiian/shirt-red.jpghttp://www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/programs/china/jpgs/Begger.jpghttp://www.baronboutique.com/pictures/tuxedo.jpg

Richard, you seem to be a little irritated with my constant questioning.  I promise you I am not trying to bug you... But when selling any kind of product/service, you do need to have the right answers to all the possible questions that can and will be asked.  I would be grateful to receive the e-mail - (luneytoones@btopenworld.com)

I'm not bothered by it at all Karen and I'm sorry if my replies have somehow inferred that as it's not intended.

With regards to answering tough questions, if you ask a top salesperson how they cope with the sorts of objections that are most commonly encountered, they won't know. This is because they answer the common objections in their sales presentation, before the client gets the chance to raise it. I'll send you the email when I get home tonight (if I remember!). I might even post it on this forum for general interest if people would like that.

The reason I just do weddings and not kid's parties, schools and work functions is that (generally) people only get married once in life and they are emotionally invested in the success of that one day. Therefore they are keener to guarantee that the reception will run flawlessly and are usually prepared to pay a little more for that assurance. This isn't just true for wedding DJ's, but also photographers, florists, hairstylists and every other event professional involved.

LOL! No I wouldnt approach any of them differently... they are all people at the end of the day (and from experience, dont judge a book by its cover!) - even if one does have dodgy tastes in shirts! I have also given you a prime example where clothes did not make any difference!

I think your comment about "tough questions" highlights exactly what I am doing here! I thought I had made it clear that I am asking the questions so that when it comes down to the client negotiations, I have got every answer to every possible question! I look forward to receiving the e-mail.

One thing I am going to do is to ensure that I dont let ego get crossed with self belief! I think my money back guarantee proves beyond a doubt that I am extremely capable - and I think that it should tell the client a lot about me!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kazz, Of course in that circumstance they didn't mind, they were just glad to have a disco, and the fact that you are fantastic, earnt you a tip.

Now take the same function, but you booked it three months ago, and you turned up dressed like that, the whole thing may have had a different outcome.

I've done last minute jobs, where it was a rush, no time to change etc, and they have been all over me like a rash - Oh do you want a drink, can we get you some food - you have just saved thier day from disaster.

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Apr 7 2004, 01:11 AM)
I have also given you a prime example where clothes did not make any difference!
I look forward to receiving the e-mail.

Hi Karen, email has been sent. With regards to the dress standard, had you turned up to my wedding wearing those clothes, I would have sent you straight back home to change and then negotiated a new fee based on the time missed. With a kid's party, there's not the same requirement for formalwear, but all I do is weddings generally.

I'd also like to restate this point:

if you ask a top salesperson how they cope with the sorts of objections that are most commonly encountered, they won't know. This is because they answer the common objections in their sales presentation, before the client gets the chance to raise it.

Can you re-jig your sales presentation to cover the points that you know will be asked based on your experience? It sure helped me a lot doing just this.

QUOTE (mikeee @ Apr 6 2004, 11:14 AM)
I'm not going to charge you $49 to tell you that. Sorry, thats my only gripe with Mark Ferrell

Hi Mikee, just to clarify, I've not yet heard any of Mark's material, but I've conversed with him online at discjockeyamerica.com and spoken with his lovely wife briefly on the phone. He helped me start down the path I'm now on after I had a quick read through his website.

Just joining in on the end here,i get £200 for picking up 2 cd cases and a bag and playing in a club,if i am going to have pre gig meetings and preparation,lugging of gear,rigging, 4\5 hours playing,wearing a tux or suit ,then down rigging and unloading then i am going to try and get as much as i can to make it worth while , am i immoral? Personally i would prefer to do 2 gigs for £500 a piece than 5 for £200 each! and i think to be honest most of us on here agree.

Edited by C.S

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

What a great thread.

I wouldn't mind that e.mail either (info@adsentertainments.com)

Work smart, not hard, like Chris Shap says Why do 3 x £150 gigs when you could do 2 x £250 gigs and get more dough ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I have to agree with Richard on the clothing front I get treated far better by the clients and venue if im dressed in a Suit/Tux and not just Trousers/Jeans and a Shirt, although having said this I would only wear the Suit at a wedding or an appropriate event not to DJ down the local.

I find that when im entertaining at such events my theory is 'Always dress as if you've got somewhere better to go after'.

Rendezvous

What is your impression of these three men based on their clothing? Would you approach them differently? I know I would!

This question should have been 'These three men are all DJ's, as a bride to be looking for a suitable entertainer to host and entertain guests on your special day which one would you choose ?'.

Kazz is right in the grand scheme of things we shouldnt judge books by their covers, but if you had to choose out of the three pictures I know who I would go for.

As a person I can be all three of these people as an entertainer at your wedding im number three.

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

I have to say If I had just rescued a wedding - and explained before hand what I was wearing and why... any snob who told me to then go away as I wasnt suitably dressed would get exactly what they wanted! I would go away.. and not go back..!

I have to laugh at some men who put on a tux (and Im not having a go here).. just because they have it on they think they are something special.. but dont know the first thing about etiquette.... I have watched a dj take off his jacket before the dinner was over - before the mc had made the announcement!! You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear though can you! One thing I should point out however, is that I always dress for the occasion... and find it a real shame that some guests dont go to the same bother!

I spend time away from the forum for a few weeks (Personal stuff not very interesting) and come back to the mother of all interesting threads!!!!!!!!

I agree with everyone??? always wear a tux especially for kids parties and keep the lime green jumpsuit for weddings (or was it the other way round)

ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!!! (like a comfy pair of slippers)

Now HOW MANY pages have I got to read through????????

The Spindoctor

Hi folks

Here are a few quote from a guy called Jim Rohn. this guy is an American businessman, however he devotes a good deal of time in public speeking.

"People shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but here's the major clue, they do!"

"God looks on the inside, people look on the outside."

"Treat your body like a temple, not a woodshed."

"Work harder on yourself than you do on your job...work hard on your job and you'll make a living, work hard on yourself, you could make a fortune."

"We primarily get paid for bringing value to the marketplace...if you're not very valuable, you don't get much money, those are the facts."

Those are the ones that came to mind. I've used a lot of what this guy teaches and it's helped me enormously with my confidence and, in fact, he's responsible for me becoming a DJ after 16 years of procrastination.

What an extraordinary thread, excelelnt!

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

QUOTE (ADS Entertainments @ Apr 7 2004, 10:02 AM)
What a great thread. I wouldn't mind that e.mail either

Seeing as so many have asked me for this info, I've posted the email as a new topic HERE I hope it's useful for you. If not, just write it off as 'some crazy Kiwi and his half-brained ideas' and we'll all be happy! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the e-mail Richard. No enlightenment there though! I would have thought that any half decent dj would adhere to most of what you have said - and yes, you are using basic marketing strategies. One thing I dont do, is to send a feedback form... I ask my clients before I accept payment if they are happy and satisfied with the service. I have hundreds of references which are sent to me by my clients voluntarily - without any kind of prompt. You have however, convinced me that I am far too cheap! I do not know of any other dj who offers a money back guarantee... which I believe tells my clients exactly how confident I am in knowing that I can and will do a brilliant job for them - and in all the years I have offered this money back guarantee, have never had to offer it - even though every client is told about it. That is also one reason I accept payment at the end of the night.

I also place equal importance on the groom as well as the bride.. it is his day too! I also ensure that I enquire after close family members/friends as to any special requests that they might have prior to the day.

As Darren put, in another way, confidence comes from within. If you look good, well groomed etc, you feel good in any situation. And when you feel good, others will respond to you. You put out a positive vibe and treat others in a certain way, they will respond. Its nothing to do with what you wear (although I fully agree on the fact that you should dress in appropriate dress code to the function/venue you are working). Attitude tells people more about you than any £60 dinner suit (from asda!).

Another example I would like to give you, is that I was asked to do a function for the young hurlinghamers at the exclusive hurlingham club in Fulham. I was told that I must dress extremely smartly to work at this prestigeous venue. I however, had to inform them that given the fact that it was a childrens disco, my attire would be polo shirt, trainers and trackies... because it was suitable for the type of work that is involved with my childrens disco. I said that if they still chose to book me, they would then see why I would be dressed in that way. They agreed - and although all the kids turned up in designer wear from head to toe, The social committee said that I was by far the best entertainer they had ever had.. and continued to book me. The staff at the Hurlingham also treated me with the utmost respect, bought me drinks on a silver platter(!) and I could not have been more well treated! I have to say though, that my "kids party uniform" is casual, clean and smart (as smart as polo shirt and trackies can be). Some may consider that I was totally under-dressed for this venue.... but my attire had absolutely nothing to do with my getting more and more bookings from them! My attitude, ability and professionalism was the over-riding factor.

Yep a great thread it all got sumed up to me just the other day. A very good friend of mine is getting married on the 30/12/05 and im going to the wedding as my girl friend is going to be a bridesmaid so she asked me to get her a good dj which i did and he is prob the best mobile dj i know he is prob better than me i got him to do it for 200 pounds as a favor when i told her she looked very disapointed so i asked her how much she was spending on a cake the answer 500 pounds so i said what are people going to talk about more the great cake or the amazing night of entertainment she finally understood http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Kazzi Wazzi Woo Woo, don't forget that what experienced D.J's term as common sense rules in reference to D.J'ing, only really apply after a length of time spent actually in business. We have both spent a period of years, well into double figures, entertaining others and I would hope that the vast majority of people of a similar level of experience would already be utilising at least 75% of what Richard has posted. Well, they must be, to still be in business http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

I agree, that to an experienced D.J, a large part of Richard's post has been covered before here, and may also be old news to some seasoned veterans http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , however we have D.J's on the forum of all ages and experience levels and I would have welcomed this advice when I was in my teens.

If nothing else, Richard has at least managed to condense several references of information, into one topic, which would be a good starting point for anybody, and from a newbies point of view this only can be good news.

In this post I have agreed with part of what Richard has said, I have also disagreed with other parts, or at least the parts which I believe wouldn't work for me, or in the area in which I cover. However, that said, some of the information given may turn out to be a gold mine of workability for you Southerners, or those in Liverpool, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Greece etc etc.

On the note of formal dress (an opinion I do subscribe to). There is a DJ locally who feels that acceptable level of dress includes shorts and a string vest. This guy can be found working Weddings etc, looking more like a Lager Lout with his many (visible) tattoos and shaven head. 10 Years ago, I thought he wouldn't last, yet he is out every weekend. Your thoughts?.

Chris,

Just because some of are based in or near London don't think that the streets are paved with gold.

Some parts of London have the highest unemployment rates in the UK if not Europe, London is a very big place, the next time you visit take a drive around North Woolwich, Tower Hamlets to name a couple.

The same can be said for Essex (where I am based) Kent and the rest of the home counties.

We don't all live in Mansions you know.

The Majority of DJ's in & around London charge in the £80-£120 (and a high % of these are very good DJ's) a night price range, for DJ's like Me & Eskie (Plus others) who charge more, we have found a market, and believe that our services are worth more so ask, and receive more.

If price was the only consideration why would these people book us for 3 or 4 times the average fee for the area we are in, because in reality we are probaly not 3 or 4 times better.

If you try it and you believe in yourself it will happen.

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

Ian,

Unusually (for me) I didn't single out those in London or the South in monetary terms on this occasion. I simply stated that those in other areas MAY find Richard's advice useful or parts of it more workable elsewhere, than in the area, in which I work.

I used the South purely as an example, as I did include in the same statement Ireland, Norway, Greece etc etc. You may notice that I used other Northern areas of the UK, such as Scotland and Liverpool as well http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

You only have to visit the ongoing Poll (who hasn't voted yet!) located Here to see what the average takings are for a Mobile D.J.

So far 81% of D.J's who voted are charging under £200 a night - with 44% of those charging between £101 - £150, however with no location indicated then I would agree with your statement that the average fee reflected in the poll could just as easily be in Glasgow, or London. However, there is no getting away from the fact that there are far more D.J's charging far less than £300 a Night. Now we have to ask the question - why?.

It's easy for those earning £300+ to advise others to do the same, however, What would be more of a control, and perhaps encourage others to follow suit would be a positive post from a member who had themselves, gone from charging say £120 to £250 and made a success of it. In 15 months of posts I can't find a single example of this. I am willing to remain open minded about this and accept Richard's belief that it is purely down to lack of motivation or business acumen. But i'm also willing to believe that there are just some areas of the UK where these sort of fees will just never be workable.

Okay, lets turn this thread back into the direction of success and motivation, rather than dwelling simply on difference of opinion. So, If you are reading this and have significantly raised your prices recently on a similar scale and its working, then please post your advice and experiences.

Chris,

My comments were explaining the situation for me, and probably a few others, and explaining that every part of the UK are basically the same, yours and mine, all have wealthy areas, and all have depressed areas.

I dis a few years ago put my prices up, the strange this every time I increased my prices In got more work.

When I have quoted £300. £350 or £400+ I know that I have been up against DJ's who quote much lower (because I ask the client), why do you think I get the work and not others, they have not seen me work so it can't be on how brilliant I am or my sex appeal so it has to be on how I present myself over the phone & my sales pitch.

In every trade there are cheap suppliers and expensive suppliers and all are busy, statistics proove that onlt 5% of people buy on price, the rest buy on service.

this is not meant in a nasty way so please don't take it that way, but your poll can't be taken as a guide, as it only takes into account those DJ's who are members of the forum, and could have been bothered to vote. I know of many DJ's who don't own a pc, or have internet connection or perhaps who don't want to take part in online forums.

Those of us charging more have told those not how to charge more on various occassions, if you choose not to believe us, or are happy with the fee's you receive, good for you if you are not give our advice a try, thats all we are saying.

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Apr 6 2004, 11:18 AM)
I am so confident at quoting £250 I never lose a booking.....

That's probably part of your problem. If you're charging what you're worth (dare I say it?), you should be meeting some resistance to your price. You are too cheap if you're booking nearly every job. You could afford to lose 50% of your current bookings if you were twice the price, but in reality you'll most likely only lose 30% at most. You just need to decide if you're being a gig-pig or not.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/whistling.gif

A quick look in my YP tells me there are 91 OTHER DJ's advertising, plus 100's that don't advert so I'm a gig-pig I'm afraid

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I totally agree that I am far too cheap. I would also like to ask those who charge top bracket if they ever actually work for less... like for instance, a residency in a pub/club or perhaps, if they have not worked for a few weeks and a booking comes in, and the client has a budget of perhaps £100 under your normal fee? (and they simply cant afford any more). I am going to have a rethink on my prices.... I dont want to get up in the VAT level and I dont want to pay tons of tax... but then that must be the down side to working at the upper end of the scale of fees. How do your customers react when you tell them that your fee is £450 plus VAT? Or do you give the £450 price as including VAT? I suppose though that most people charging top dollar do it as an occupation.... lets face it, if they did it legally, worked loads and had a day job, the fee charged for their services, if they operated in a legal way, would be severely cut by Hector - even after claiming back every conceivable allowance.