Photo

Best Active Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Dukesy

Dukesy

Schhh! I don't do personal - just business.

• Community Leader
  • 12,145 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Anybody have any experience / suggestions for a decent set of active speakers, under 1000 a pair.

I'd really like a pair of QSC K12's / FBT MAxx but they are somewhat outside of my budget biggrin.gif , although the 1000 watt per cab rating from a pair of 12" Cab's is very impressive and pretty much leading the industry in the case of the QSC K series.

Criteria:-

Be 15" cabs with reasonably good bass response (without using ext subs)
Lightweight - Having Class D or SMPS Amplifier modules seem favourite here
Ideally be rated at around 500W per cab, any more would be a bonus
Sound as good as is possible for the budget biggrin.gif

I'm happy to consider second hand, if it gets me a bit more wattage or quality. Although stuff on the bay of fleas seems to be changing hands at almost the same price as brand new gear wallbash.gif

Please don't do the boring thing and mention Mackie SRM450's, they used to appear on every other thread a few years ago, and TBH when I heard them I wasn't that impressed as to me they sounded more brash and in your face than smooth, tonally.

I've been looking at the new Class D powered Behringer range. But they haven't been launched in the UK yet, and don't seem to have any reviews and of course its too early to gauge their reliability. But for a middle of the road priced speaker they do seem a very attractive price - power combination.

http://www.behringer...ts/B815NEO.aspx

Why Buy New - New, Ex-Demo and Graded Disco Equipment at below retail prices

CPC - Great Prices on Leads, Connectors, Consumables, Disco Equipment and Much More

Glow Brothers - Wholesale Distributors of Glow Sticks & Products

The Wedding Mobile Disco Company

#2 DJMickeyk

DJMickeyk

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Haven't used them myself but i have heard good things about the warrior psr 15 actives, think a pair will set you back about 600 pounds and they come with free bags, bit on the heavy side though at 30kg.

HTFR are doing a sale on the rcf 325 at 999 bang on your budget, i would go for those if your budget is 1000 pounds. Plenty of power and the 2" long throw horn will be better in bigger venues, I'm trying to shift some older jbls on ebay at the moment and the minute they're gone i'll be getting a set of these if they are still available at that price, although i am also considering a number of more expensive 12" + sub combinations, will see how much I can stretch to when the time comes.

mike

Edited by DJMickeyk, 14 August 2010 - 05:22 PM.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

#3 gadget

gadget

Master of Shaved Cheese

• Community Leader
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(DJMickeyk @ Aug 14 2010, 06:06 PM) View Post

Haven't used them myself but i have heard good things about the warrior psr 15 actives, think a pair will set you back about 600 pounds and they come with free bags, bit on the heavy side though at 30kg.

HTFR are doing a sale on the rcf 325 at 999 bang on your budget, i would go for those if your budget is 1000 pounds. Plenty of power and the 2" long throw horn will be better in bigger venues, I'm trying to shift some older jbls on ebay at the moment and the minute they're gone i'll be getting a set of these if they are still available at that price, although i am also considering a number of more expensive 12" + sub combinations, will see how much I can stretch to when the time comes.

mike

I was going to buy a pair of the PSR 12's (passive), because they sounded really good for their money. When I came around to buying I couldn't find a pair for love nor money - out of stock everywhere...

Would like a pair of decent active 12inch speakers, a bit like MintyDave's RCF's, but I'd be happier with a slightly lower wattage than 700w per cab!

Cheers,

David
DJ David Graham
Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415
Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk
FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham
Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

#4 PWES

PWES

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Although not EXACTLY what you are looking for, still worth a serious look if you need portable and compact - HK !

I used a LUCAS 1000 for 3 years until very recently, ok it's 3 boxes, but one compact sub with amps built in, and two tiny 8" tops, so still very portable. Lovely accurate but warm sound, and lots of punch !

I think around 1500 new, they often come up on ebay, and there are copies out their for the real cheapskates amongst us ;-)
The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....
MY disco website CHEAP DJ PLI amongst several others ;-)

#5 centrestagediscos

centrestagediscos

centrestagediscos

• Community Leader
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

another mention for the warriors you could get a pair of 15s for your main stuff but also add a pair of 12s for back up or smaller venues i had a listen to the 12s and i was very impressed but sound is very much down to each individuals perception.
07843106107 mobile

01752-296680 office

#6 superstardeejay

superstardeejay

Engineer

• Community Leader
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

LD systems have class D powered cabinets in all shapes and sizes and are reasonably priced and good value. Samson also do some nice ones, as do Yamaha.

The cheap DJ brands will in general last through a warranty but shake themselves to bits eventually.

The worst-quality powered speakers I've seen by a very long chalk are Behringer.

Premium brands are usually well engineered such as RCF, Mackie, DB, JBL, GEM, HK, FBT, Nova, KV2, ElectroVoice/Dynacord and DAS.

#7 Norfolk DJ

Norfolk DJ

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Dukesy @ Aug 14 2010, 05:32 PM) View Post

Anybody have any experience / suggestions for a decent set of active speakers, under 1000 a pair.

I'd really like a pair of QSC K12's / FBT MAxx but they are somewhat outside of my budget biggrin.gif , although the 1000 watt per cab rating from a pair of 12" Cab's is very impressive and pretty much leading the industry in the case of the QSC K series.

Criteria:-

Be 15" cabs with reasonably good bass response (without using ext subs)
Lightweight - Having Class D or SMPS Amplifier modules seem favourite here
Ideally be rated at around 500W per cab, any more would be a bonus
Sound as good as is possible for the budget biggrin.gif

I'm happy to consider second hand, if it gets me a bit more wattage or quality. Although stuff on the bay of fleas seems to be changing hands at almost the same price as brand new gear wallbash.gif

Please don't do the boring thing and mention Mackie SRM450's, they used to appear on every other thread a few years ago, and TBH when I heard them I wasn't that impressed as to me they sounded more brash and in your face than smooth, tonally.

I've been looking at the new Class D powered Behringer range. But they haven't been launched in the UK yet, and don't seem to have any reviews and of course its too early to gauge their reliability. But for a middle of the road priced speaker they do seem a very attractive price - power combination.

http://www.behringer...ts/B815NEO.aspx

Sub 1,000 rules out QSC, RCF and FBT, which would be the high quality front runners.

I rate the QSC K10 and the RCF 310 but these are only 10'inch drivers.

I would go for the Mackie SRM 450. Well bult for life on the road decent enough sound. They also resell well and hold their price.

#8 vokf

vokf

DJU Veteran

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(Norfolk DJ @ Aug 15 2010, 08:01 PM) View Post

Sub 1,000 rules out QSC, RCF and FBT, which would be the high quality front runners.

I rate the QSC K10 and the RCF 310 but these are only 10'inch drivers.

I would go for the Mackie SRM 450. Well bult for life on the road decent enough sound. They also resell well and hold their price.

Not compatible with Dan's ears.. and also not 15" (450's are 12" I'm sure?!)

#9 gadget

gadget

Master of Shaved Cheese

• Community Leader
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(vokf @ Aug 16 2010, 01:37 AM) View Post

In which case, RCF ART 325A for 999 from HTFR it is then?

:)

David
DJ David Graham
Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415
Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk
FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham
Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

#10 UKHero

UKHero

Nik

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

Yes they are 12" but they pack quit a punch. They do need EQing to get the best from them though as Dan says they can be a bit harsh.

Nik

Edited by UKHero, 16 August 2010 - 01:43 AM.

#11 Norfolk DJ

Norfolk DJ

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

Indeed, but should be considered as they do fir the price range and are reasonably high performing 12 inch speakers compared to some.

QUOTE(gadget @ Aug 16 2010, 01:48 AM) View Post

In which case, RCF ART 325A for 999 from HTFR it is then?

:)

David

A true great buy.

Difficult to buy real quality under 1k

#12 Partyprint

Partyprint

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

What about JBL Eons?
Heard them a few times and they sound good! Think they're just over 1k but would be worth the extra pennys an meet all the criteria 15", lightweight, active

#13 Robster

Robster

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Partyprint @ Aug 16 2010, 01:37 PM) View Post

What about JBL Eons?
Heard them a few times and they sound good! Think they're just over 1k but would be worth the extra pennys an meet all the criteria 15", lightweight, active

I Had a pair of eon 15's but found them very bright and i also found that feedback was an issue more than other speakers i used in the same locations
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

#14 superstardeejay

superstardeejay

Engineer

• Community Leader
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

The thing about 'bright' speakers is that you can eq-them down. It is far more difficult to 'eq-up' dull sounding ones!

I recommended the EON15P's to one of the local radio DJs for his own use and after buying them he thanked me for the recommendation because he said he liked how they projected his voice (as he gets his gigs off the back of his radio work and is expected to talk-over alot!). EONs are sold world-wide and for many different purposes eg lectures, band, disco etc.

Best hear (and use) anything really before buying, that way if you hate them, you've only got yourself to blame!!

#15 Norfolk DJ

Norfolk DJ

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

If you can still (and a big if) get hold of a pair of RCF 325a's for less than 1k they will blow away the JBL's.

RCF are top quality high-end performers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users